Very slow speeds

• I've been having very slow speeds on my OMV setup.

Hardware
    trinity a-5700 processor
    Hitachi 5k3000 (have always good ~100mb/sec)
    8GB ram

I was seing smb speeds around 5-10MBps. Then once the media was on the OMV server if If i copied it I was still stuck around 10MB/sec. I was using the drive formatted NTFS and was given advise it was likely the issue.

Fast forward to now. I have completely wiped and re-installed OMV. Wiped the main HD and formatted EXT4. Issue is exactly the same. Both SMB speeds and copy/paste natively on the drive is slow as sin. In the past without OMV i have seen 100MB/sec + transfers.

Ideas? I love the simplicity of OMV but with these speeds I'll have to move on shortly.

• SDA is system drive
    SDB is Media drive

root@openmediavault:/# dd conv=fdatasync if=/dev/sdb of=/tmp/test.img bs=1G count=3

3+0 records in

3+0 records out

3221225472 bytes (3.2 GB) copied, 28.9821 s, 111 MB/s

root@openmediavault:/# dd conv=fdatasync if=/dev/sda of=/tmp/test.img bs=1G count=3

3+0 records in

3+0 records out

3221225472 bytes (3.2 GB) copied, 15.8059 s, 204 MB/s

• Looks like your disk performance is good locally. Can you try FTP or any other protocol to determine if it is SMB issues between the server and your client or Network. What model and speed of NIC are you using?

• ill give ftp a try but I have to learn how to use it.

Is it not already local speeds if I copy a SMB file to the drive. Then I replicate it onto the drive elsewhere? It never left the drive, even if I'm using a SMB share to access it.

NIC is built in, realtek i think. 1gbps.

• Editing this post.

FTP yielded marginally better results. Seemed about 15-25Mbps depending on the file it was chewing through.
    Also confirmed with Ethtool, the interface is running 1gbps and full duplex.

Speeds I'm seeing are pretty standard across 3 different machines I have. 2 MBP with SSD drives and a Windows 10 machine. No difference on Wifi or LAN for the clients, as I don't seem to be even approaching speeds yet my Wifi can't handle yet.

• What kind of files are you trying to move? It will make a difference is you are trying to move small files or a big one. Make a couple of test using this tool to check the read/write speeds from and to your NAS.

Both SMB speeds and copy/paste natively on the drive is slow as sin

It never left the drive, even if I'm using a SMB share to access it.

So, let me see if I get it right: you are moving a file within the same HDD in your NAS? If that is the case, are you using a file manager in your NAS to move the file (like Midnight Commander) or are you doing it from a client PC (that is, Samba share in another computer)? In that case, if you are moving files using a client computer of course you'll have a throttle in the speed because your HDD has to read the file, push it to the client PC and then get it back from the client PC and write it back. I had the issue myself: I moved large movie files from the download folder to the movie folder (both shares in my NAS). If I do it thru my Windows PC it takes ages (both with Gigabit LAN and 300 Mbps 5 GHz WLan), but if I do it with a file manager within the NAS (like Midnight Commander), the speed is far better.

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

• That worked! So if I use eXtplorer I can move files around very quickly just as I expected to. Samba shares are still slow as sin which is annoying... But my main issue was moving files within the server. I can live with the slow network speeds for a while because all I need to do is media stream which isn't that intensive.

Are there any file management solutions that use more of a drag and drop approach? eXtplorer is ok... But I really prefer navigating a a network share on my computer. Much easier to open tabs, rename items, drag and drop, ect.

• I use Midnight Commander and find it really good. It is not a "drag and drop" type file manager, but the interface is relatively friendly and allows you to modify your files with ease. It has mouse support and the typical menus you would expect, and a nice old school color scheme! If you want to know how it looks like, take a look here. If you want to install it, you need to execute the following command thru a SSH session:

Code
    apt-get install mc

To run the application, run the following command:

Code
    mc

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

• Thanks for the reply.

As an aside i decided to give FreeNas a try. Whats frustrating is it has NO problem moving huge directories around via SMB shares (manipulating files all on the NAS drive not network based transfers). Its great to be able to relocate a 100GB directory into a different directory (on the same drive) and it just goes as you'd expect... But the Jails/Permissions is such a headache I cant wrap my head around its useless.

I really wish this wasn't such an issue on OMV. I constantly need to manage large video files and having to use a file manager VS accessing the share is a serious pain.

• Mmm it is weird that FreeNas can handle those kind of file moves with such ease. AFAIK different NAS solutions may have this kind of bottleneck. You can find an example here:

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=75384

May I ask what speeds were you getting when moving files thru Samba share with OMV? And then, are you also using samba protocol with FreeNas with files in the same Nas drive?

Custom mini-ITX build

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Eryan ()

• Yes same HW with freenass and omv.

They both get roughly the same SMB speeds when transferring to and from... In that case I'm wondering now if the bottleneck really is my network. Very old 7+ year old gbit router. Once upon a time it hit wire speeds but lately its been very flaky on wifi as well...

Biggest difference is with freenass I can access the shares via samba and manipulate them MUCH faster. Moves are more or less instant, copies are working at about 60MB/sec (which i thinks a limitation on my hardware with more resource intensive ZFS). Either way, is still a massive step up in speed as long as I'm working with items already on the NAS, and not transferring to it.

Unfortunately Ill have to stick with FreeNas for now. Its insanely more complicated but I've about got the hang of it. Once its done just backup the config and forget about the nightmare of setup lol!

Appreciate the help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think it depends on the server, network, and client(s). I have none of these issues with OMV and Linux/Win7 clients. I have moved very large directories on the same drive instantly. I can saturate gigabit with ease. FreeNAS uses samba as well. Probably just a minor thing in the smb.conf that is causing the issue or it could be FreeNAS is using a newer version of samba. I would be very curious to see if the issues go away if you used the wheezy backports samba4 package. It would also be interesting to compare the smb.conf files.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!