Can someone please explain HDHomeRun to me?

• Offizieller Beitrag

No offense but do you think this is the right forum for this question? The HDHR3 has three tuners and uses cable cards. The HDHR4 has two tuners and no cable cards. Neither transcode. I have two HDHomerun boxes. I only use the Extend because it transcodes.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• None taken. I thought it was the right place. The hardware thread was the closest category I could find to accessories or peripherals :-/

You're talking about the HDHR3-CC, but I'm asking about the HDHR3-US (also known as the HDHomeRun Dual). There's one for sale here. The HDHR3-CC is still listed on the company's website, but the HDHR3-US isn't mentioned on their webpage anymore. See here.

The HDHR3-US and HDHR4-US look the same to me. I think they might have changed model numbers when they launched the HDHR3-CC to avoid confusion, but I don't know.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks like they replaced the HDHR3-US with the HDHR4-US (also called Connect). The HDHR3 only did 1080i and had no dlna server. The Connect is almost the same as the Extend except it doesn't do transcoding. I would get the Extend. I really like mine.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• That reply was so incredibly helpful! I haven't been able to find that information anywhere. So your HDHomeRun has a DLNA server built-in? Since it also does transcoding, does that mean that you can watch TV straight from your DLNA compatible device without Emby or another intermediary to serve the content to the client?

If so, that's pretty cool.

Also, would you mind suggesting a PVR/DVR application to use with OMV?

I was going to use the VDR plug-in, but there are a few threads on the forums about people not being able to get VDR to recognize their HDHomeRun tuners. I also haven't looked at the VDR interface yet, but if you can suggest something that you like better (and that runs on your server, rather than on another dedicated capture machine), please let me know.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, it has a built-in dlna server and you can watch TV on any DLNA device. It will give you a listing of the channels. Personally, I use kodi on my amazon firetvs. There is an hdhomerun addon in kodi that is fantastic.

For a DVR, I use my Windows 7 desktop running Windows Media Center.

• Dang it! Everyone says WMC is the answer, but I would SO MUCH rather have the server do the recording because then it's all local, rather than flooding my 10/100 LAN with video traffic.

Rather than going tuner > Win 7 > NAS > Client, I could cut one layer and go tuner > NAS > Client. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but it would make a difference on my wee little LAN.

Should I take it that VDR has kind-of died?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I never got VDR to work with hdhomerun. You can record with wget/curl directly on the server though - link. Otherwise, you could put a Win7 VM on the OMV box with virtualbox (if it is powerful enough).

• what´s about TVHeadend as PVR backend for the HD-Homerun?
    It has native HD Homerun support and you can install it on omv!

You can stream TV to any browser & schedule programs, there are apps for smartphones, integrated transcoding and one of the best pvr addons for kodi...

• TVHeadend is a great option, but I have not been able to get it installed on OMV to test it. I started by using TVHeadend's linux install guide for ubuntu, which didn't work. Then I used the guide on the forum here for OMV, but it just leaves me with an error. If you have any idea how to install TVHeadend, please jump in on this thread. It would be super helpful.

• chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!