Rebuilding my NAS. MOBO, processor, and what OS to run decisions

• I am currently running Xpenology and I really like it, but the updates going forward have me worried as to the stability of the project.
    It is currently running with four HGST/Hitachi 0F12470 Ultrastar 2TB drives. I picked up some nice HGST 4TB models on sale though last week.
    My current setup is used for a PLEX media library with my Mac Mini running PLEX server, Time Machine backups, various other backups that just sync folders from other locations, and misc ISOs, photos, etc.
    4TB will keep my happy for quite a while.

What I have:
    2x HGST Deskstar NAS H3IKNAS40003272SN (0S03664) 4TB
    ASRock Q1900-ITX - model with 4xSATA ports on it.
    4GB ram
    Rosewill CHALLENGER - Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I am evaluating just staying on Xpenology since I like the way it works and handles the partitioning and stuff for me, has nice apps and mobile management, and I am familiar with it. I can always move the data off by booting to a Linux rescue disk since they use LVM and mdadm to handle the drives. I have also run PLEX directly on Xpenology in the past, but it was easier to work with and update on my Mini.

Option two is Openmediavault. I am somewhat struggling with the documentation, it seems to be all over the place.
    What drive FS format, raid/lvm/zfs/drive FS, etc should I run?

Option three is just use something like Softraid and attach them directly to my Mini via USB3.

Thoughs?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Obviously, asking in this forum will get #2 as an answer.

OMV has just about everything Xpenology has and more. They both use Linux/mdadm/lvm and allow rescue with a Linux rescue disk. OMV has Plex as well.

OMV will seem more difficult to use (especially for Linux noobs) because it has many more options and is much more flexible. With two drives, I would just setup a nightly rsync rather than run raid/lvm/etc. ext4 is fine for a filesystem.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I came to OMV from an actual Synology device. I sold the old device and built a custom system because they stopped adding functionality to my equipment and I wanted larger degrees of freedom about updating my hardware/software.

I've really liked the OMV infrastructure built on Debian and have found it incredibly powerful/flexible in configuring things just how I want them. It certainly has required more time for me to setup, but I also feel it more closely matches what I want and gives me the freedom to change it later with new hardware/software.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!