OMV on HP Mediasmartserver ex490

• Hi,

I have an old HP mediasmart ex490 server, and I consider installing another OS.

My choise is currently down to Amahi or OMV.

Amahi should be straight forward. No problems reported in this thread:

http://www.howtogeek.com/63253…s-home-server-with-amahi/

I'm also considering OMV. However, this thread indicates some problems with the NIC of the mediasmart server:

Guide: Installed OpenMediaVault on my old HP EX470 Mediasmart Windows Home Server

Apparently Linux is not compatible with the NIC in the ex470. I don't want to use an external USB NIC, so this may be a show stopper for me. However, I don't know if the ex470 and ex490 use the same NIC, so I may not have the same problem as above.

Does anyone have experience with OMV on an HP mediasmart server, and can cast further light on this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

First of all, amahi is linux too. It won't magically fix a problem Debian/OMV is having.

Second of all, the post doesn't really say it doesn't work. It just says it has problems. Upgrading to the backports 3.16 right away may fix those problems.

Finally, try it :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• OMG! This was WAY too easy! I just installed it! :thumbup:

I attached a VGA monitor to the internal connector of the mediasmart server. Then attached USB mouse, keyboard and CD drive. I removed harddrive 2, 3 and 4 so only the primary was present. Then I booted from the OMV installation CD and installed it. After everything was up and running I added the three other harddrives. All drives was recognised and the network also works.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!