new OMV running, need to add drives with existing data safely; possibly Greyhole for pooling

• Hi,

I'm a newbie to OMV, been running a Debian (Squeeze) server for my many terabytes of videos for a few years. Used Greyhole for pooling (not for redundancy). All my videos are in separate data drives (5 of them) using the XFS filesystem. Had a major screwup with the boot drive so, although I lost no videos, I do have to rebuild the server from scratch. That's when I thought it might be a good idea to try OMV.

I unplugged all the data drives and installed OMV, looks fine to me. Kind of sad that I had to use a 3 TB drive for boot drive since, as I understand it, it's not allowed under OMV to add a partition for other uses. But I can live with that. Maybe I'll find a smaller drive somewhere and reinstall before proceeding further.

I need advice on the best way to add my data drives to the server, now that I'm in the OMV universe. Although I have all but the most recent videos backed up to another server (which is dedicated to backups), I very much want to avoid losing my data ;->

I might want to continue with Greyhole for pooling, or maybe I'll go with tekkb's method of sharing without pooling. I've had a look at the Greyhole Plugin guide, but it doesn't deal with the first step, namely how to add existing drives without clobbering them. I've asked Guillaume for any tips on this from the Greyhole point of view and he helpfully pointed me to a resource on adding existing data to a new operating system, and referred me to you all for OMV specifics.

Probably it comes down to which method I'm least likely to screw up.

Thank you!
    Mark M

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can always add another partition to the 3tb drive to use with OMV. OMV just typically does not want data on the OS drive in case of failure.

Why would the greyhole plugin "clobber" the existing drives? It doesn't delete any data or reformat the drives. Sure, it may need to make new copies of existing data. I guess I would have to see your old greyhole config to know the best way to proceed.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

It's not Greyhole I'm worried about, it's whatever's happening with OMV that I know nothing about. For example, LVM.

But I've since been experimenting with my backup system and I had no problem adding and mounting the existing drives, so all is well .. so far!

Thanks
    Mark M.

• Offizieller Beitrag

LVM? You don't have to worry about LVM if you don't use it and most don't have a reason to use it.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'm just nervous because I read something somewhere about OMV using LVM by default, and that LVM might in the hands of the ignorant wipe drives.

It's the weight of multiple terabytes of video files making me nervous!

Thanks for your help, appreciated.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!