Connection to OMV from outside

• Hi Guys,

I know there are many Nerds out there who hopefully can give me some hints.
    What is the best solution to get data connection from outside.

I like of course to use VPN so that I have a secure connection but interested that I'm also able to can stream music and movie's.

What is the best way to do that, what router would you recommend?

best regards
    Alfons

• Offizieller Beitrag

ssh is always very good for accesing the txt console and the web panel using socks.
    openvpn opens all The network as well as Lan clients. An openwrt router should do it, tl-wdr4300 is a good choice for n wireless, for ac archer c7 v2.0 is the best price choice. More power you have to go on arm routers, netgear that means Broadcom so you'll have to switch to tomato.

• Deecon is right about media. When you are remote you will not be able to stream, which refers to higher bandwidth as reading the full file from it's location. Remotely you will be trasnscoding so the media takes less bandwidth. Normally you will not want this going through a VPN or SSH connection because it will lag. So best to you use a media server, Plex or Emby, alnog with one of their client apps.

If your server is on all the time you can put the OpenVPN/AS server on it. If not your router is last resort. I don't like VPN on my router as the connection has always been slow, weaker cpu.

I am using Asus routers with DD-WRT firmware as my primary routers.

I use small TP-Link routers for traveling. They are really cheap, very small and good. A lot of hotel rooms still have a wired connection. I setup my own wireless network to use in hotel rooms. I am usually not messing with the firmware on these, maybe TP-Link firmware upgrades is all.

• I see I should distinguish between Media and Data. I use Plex for the moment which works I would say partly fine but the lack is the bandwidth I guess.

Maybe it's easier to explain what situation I do have. As I work far away from home during the week I do have of course to places from where I do have Internet connection.

What about all the data I do have stored on my NAS how do I get access to them then without loosing to much security. What would you recommend to do in that scenario?

br
    openalf

• When you are remote you will not be able to stream, which refers to higher bandwidth as reading the full file from it's location. Remotely you will be trasnscoding so the media takes less bandwidth.

But that's just due to the fact that most Internet Providers have arbitrary low upload compared to your download speed. If you get a decent upload you can stream in original quality, thus no need to transcode:

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Well deecon just spoke about plex, so there was no mention of VPN in his post, was it? ^^

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!