Openmediavault 3.x - Important Information!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope. OMV 2.x commits are in their own branch. You can select the 2.x branch to see those.

omv-extras - ready
    backup - ready
    nginx - ready
    websites - is just a meta package for the nginx plugin.
    docker-gui - has just been ported. may need some testing

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

When OMV 3.x is released. Install Debian Jessie 8.x 32 bit and then look for the instructions lots of places on the forum for how to install OMV on top of that. Or just wait.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Just signed up to give this a bump, as I have not been able to find a clear answer to the question:

Is omv-release-upgrade still known-broken, from the latest 2.X to the current 3.X Beta?

@Wolf2000, as you have repeated, the OP states that it may damage your installation completely at the moment. But that post is dated Jan 25th, and as of Aug 1st @ryecoaaron implied (but did not state outright) that this had been fixed: the "at the moment" part was more significant than the "breaking installs" part.

I understand 3.X is beta and unsupported, and so of course there are no guarantees it will work for me specifically.

What I do not understand is if, as of today, there are still known showstoppers with omv-release-upgrade and the devs expect it to break installs, or if the upgrade path is like everything else 3.0: mostly working and worth a shot.

Can anyone clarify?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried a test a couple of nights ago and it did screw up some of the config.xml. These problems are fixable though. I would recommend a fresh install but if you are brave enough and have good linux skills, go for the upgrade. I had to reboot to get all of the packages installed as well but this isn't OMV's fault. It is the move from one version of Debian to another.

• Thanks very much for the quick reply!

I may give it a go regardless, but good to know this is still in the "known broken" basket.

Thanks devs, for all your hard work! OMV rocks my socks!

• Good Morning everybody,

i´ve some general questions regarding OMV 3.0...

I´m now running OMV 2.0, everything great !

I would like to change the Hardware, Board and CPU, Memory maybe as well the Network Adpt. Can i do this (is there a manual for it with the necessary steps?) ..right now without any problem and if yes, will it be possible to upgrade later to OMV 3.0 autom. without any problem using omv-release-upgrade ?

or

do you suggest to wait until the oficial release of OMV 3.0 and then install it completely fresh on the new hardware ? if this is the better idea, will it be possible to use my actual raid, using disks etc. and configuration ?, will there be a manual how to transfer all this to a new configuration on OMV 3.0 ?

Thanks in advance

Asus Z97M-Plus / Intel Core i5 / 16 GB RAM / System: 120 GB Intel SSD / RAID 1 - 2 x 4 TB Seagate ST4000VN000 / USB Backup HDD - Seagate Backup Plus Desktop STCA4000200

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    Kernel 4.19.0.0 bpo4 - amd64
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• I would like to change the Hardware, Board and CPU, Memory maybe as well the Network Adpt. Can i do this (is there a manual for it with the necessary steps?) ..right now without any problem

Should be doable.

and if yes, will it be possible to upgrade later to OMV 3.0 autom. without any problem using omv-release-upgrade ?

It should be, but we aren't there yet. Note that this can Change at any time since the release upgrade is not working right now and may take lots of work to work correctly.

do you suggest to wait until the oficial release of OMV 3.0 and then install it completely fresh on the new hardware ?

Considering the changes from 2 to 3 changed some Major core parts, it's not a bad idea to do that. Better then upgrading in the current state of the upgrade path.

if this is the better idea, will it be possible to use my actual raid, using disks etc. and configuration ?, will there be a manual how to transfer all this to a new configuration on OMV 3.0 ?

Raid, disk Settings etc. will carry over, however config for Services/shared Folders etc. won't. You can however copy your config.xml under /etc/openmediavault/ and have it by your side when your reconfigure your newly installed System. Don't copy it over, it won't work.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi David,

thanks for responding that fast...

ok, this means i should better wait until the oficial release and then install it on the new hardware ? for sure you dont know it at the moment more or less when the release date will be right !? (just for my plannings).

It would be a shame to wait a longer time and i can not use the new hardware...

i mean... i could change the hardware right now but doing all this config stuff for OMV 2.0 takes also some time, not sure if it´s worth it.

Asus Z97M-Plus / Intel Core i5 / 16 GB RAM / System: 120 GB Intel SSD / RAID 1 - 2 x 4 TB Seagate ST4000VN000 / USB Backup HDD - Seagate Backup Plus Desktop STCA4000200

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    Kernel 4.19.0.0 bpo4 - amd64
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• thanks for responding that fast...

You're welcome. ;)

for sure you dont know it at the moment more or less when the release date will be right !? (just for my plannings).

Nothing written in Stone, can't be that much longer though. Volker is still waiting on some things to finish up, as far as I know.

It would be a shame to wait a longer time and i can not use the new hardware...

Get your new Hardware, set it up with 3.0, you should be fine in ist current state and with a fresh install. Care to look at which Plugins are ready for 3.0 though.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Hallo zusammen :)

ich nutze derzeit auf meinem Dell T20 ein Debian mit Docker-Containern für SMB, FTP usw.

Testweise habe ich nun OMV in einer VM aufgesetzt - und: ICH BIN BEGEISTERT :)

Gerne möchte ich nun zeitnah das System zu OMV umziehen. In den vorherigen Post hat davidh2k ja bereits erwählt, dass es so ausschaut, dass Volker bald das release freigibt. Kann dies zeitlich grob umrissen werden? Reden wir bei bald um wenige Tage oder um über einen Monat :) ?

Ist es zu empfehlen das Image von OMV bei der Installation zu nehmen oder lieber ein blankes Debian und dann nachschieben via Paketverwaltung? Eine Neuinstallation will ich in beiden Fällen vornehmen.

Viele Grüße

• In den vorherigen Post hat davidh2k ja bereits erwählt, dass es so ausschaut, dass Volker bald das release freigibt. Kann dies zeitlich grob umrissen werden? Reden wir bei bald um wenige Tage oder um über einen Monat ?

Aktuell weiß ich nicht ganz auf was @votdev noch wartet, es sollte aber nicht mehr allzu lange dauern, ich werde da aber nochmal mit Volker Rücksprache halten.

Ist es zu empfehlen das Image von OMV bei der Installation zu nehmen oder

Installation von der ISO ist zu bevorzugen.

Gruß
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!