OMV crashing during big file transfers, locking up gui and ssh access

• Hi guys, Noob here so bare with me please :)

Yesterday I installed OMV for the first time, I configured the system to my liking (more or less) and made a shared folder to backup my photos into (a few TiBs of data).
    A minute or so into the transfer (from a windows 10 pro 64bit PC using TeraCopy) the Nas freezes, the network drive is no longer accessible, the gui can't be reached and even ssh is unreachable.

here are the rig's specs:
    Gigabyte GA-B150M-HD3
    Intel Pentium G4400
    G.Skill 8GB DDR3 (run clean 10 memtest cycles)
    WD red 3TB x 4
    An old 1TB seagate
    SanDisk cruzer fit 16GB

I'm using SnapRAID and mergerfs for pooling the data drives, but I ruled out SnapRAID as the cause by trying to transfer files into the simply mounted Seagate (ext4) as well.

can anyone point me into the right direction as to how to isolate the cause and fix this?
    Thanks in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is OMV installed on the usb stick? If so, do you have openmediavault-flashmemory installed? If not, your usb stick is probably failing. Find a new one or use a rotating drive/ssd.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Is OMV installed on the usb stick? If so, do you have openmediavault-flashmemory installed? If not, your usb stick is probably failing. Find a new one or use a rotating drive/ssd.

thanks for the quick response!

OMV is installed on the USB stick (new stick, reformatted and zeroed (dd'ed) it in order to install GRUB correctly), and more importantly - Flash Memory is up and running as well.

any other ideas?
    TIA!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Get rid of Windows? :D

Are you on OMV 2.x? There was another post about issues with fuse 2.9.0. Are you using mergerfs 2.9.1?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• As a photographer I'm pretty much bound to use windows or mac, and windows is way cheaper for the same hardware... so, I wish, but no can do. :/

Code
    root@nas:~# mergerfs -v
    mergerfs version: 2.8.0
    FUSE library version: 2.9.0
    fusermount version: 2.9.0
    using FUSE kernel interface version 7.18

but as I said earlier, I tried to copy files to the seagate HDD which is mounted and shared as is, not behind the snapRAID nor the mergerfs.

EDIT: maybe I'll try other protocols like BTsync or rsync. this is very annoying though, it's the most basic task of the NAS, why can't it do it right?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try WinSCP (over ssh/scp). This may be an issue with Windows 10 and samba 3.6. I have never had an issue with Window XP or 7. Don't be so quick to blame the NAS. Windows 10 has problems with old Windows servers let alone Linux. With OMV 3.x, it will use samba 4.1 which should play with Win10 much better.

• OK, so I applied both tips - I've installed the the backports kernel, and tried WinSCP over FTP protocol, after a little tinkering I was able to get back to almost the same transfer speed as before, and it worked longer before it died. but it still turned belly up after a few hours, only this time I got two mails from monit:

Zitat

monit alert -- Resource limit matched localhost [nas.local]
    Resource limit matched Service localhost Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 06:46:17 Action: alert Host: nas.local Description: loadavg(5min) of 3.2 matches resource limit [loadavg(5min)>2.0]Your faithful employee,Monit

and

Zitat

monit alert -- Resource limit succeeded localhost [nas.local]
    Resource limit succeeded Service localhost Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 06:49:17 Action: alert Host: nas.local Description: 'localhost' loadavg(1min) check succeeded [current loadavg(1min)=3.4]Your faithful employee,Monit

What should I do about this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

At this point, I would run memtest on it.

• memtest run for over 6 hours, 10 cycles with zero errors. I ordered an ssd, but it'll take a while to get here.
    This is a one time transfer of ~5TiB, regular transfers would be between 3 and 30 TiBs at a time so it shouldn't be a problem...
    I'm almost tempted to take the hdds out and plug'em in the win machine just to get it over with...

BTW - can you recommend a program/app/plugin to verify the integrity of transferred files? (CRC, md5 or any other...)

Thanks for your help guys! appreciate it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This still sounds hardware related. That loadavg is too high for just transferring files. The IO wait must be high. Can you post the top 10 lines of the output of top while files are transferring?

If both boxes were linux, it would be easy by rsync'ing the files from one box to another and setting the checksum flag. Not sure how to do it with Windows involved.

• I've had zero problems with Windows 10 and OMV. Primarily using a Toshiba laptop with an i5 cpu, and Intel Wireless N-7260. I'll take a look at your mobo...

It is fairly new motherboard... yes? Do you have a spare pci/pci-e NIC you could put in it temporarily to test?
    I would try that.

• I have the same problem, with a really similar hardware. My specs are:

Motherboard: Gigabyte H110M-S2PV
    CPU: Pentium G4500
    RAM: 4GB Kingston
    Storage: 1x2TB WD RED

Same scenario here: Windows 10 machine can't send big files to OMV (locks up everything, including WebUI and SSH), but OMV can send big files do Windows 10.
    I have installed the backports, and I have FlashMemory up and running. Smaller files (less than 500MB) goes without any problem. Bigger files (2GB++) hangs the server.

Any luck with the issue?

This week I'll be upgrading my RAM, but I doubt it is the problem. I'll try to test a new NIC.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!