Suggestions regarding home NAS/multimedia server

• Dear All,

I would like to ask to community some suggestion regarding my future nas.
    I have about 200€ budged and I will purchase 2 disks (2 * 2TB). On NAS I will put non-critical data (like movies that I can lost on failre) and critical data that I prefer to save. Usually the access to critical data is not heavy, and I backup on online services.

My idea is to divide the disks in 2 partitions with the following schema:

Disk1_a:1,5 TB Disk2_b:0,5 TB
    Disk2_a:1,5 TB Disk2_b:0,5 TB

For non-critical data some like Raid0 between Disk1_a & Disk2_a;
    For critical data some like Raid1 between Diisk1_b & Disk2_b;

I would like to have about 3TB for non critical data and 0,5Tb for critical data.

Have a complete Raid1 is too expensive for me in terms of available space.

Is my idea acceptable? Can you suggest which FSs to use for the partitions.

I would like to use ZFS in order to "learn" something new... but it's not mandatory :)

Thanks in advance for your sueggestions.

Luigi

• You do not say anything about your motherboard or ram. This is important for ZFS. You need ECC ram and more of it with ZFS. In OMV 2.x I would use ext4 as the file system. I would not mess with ZFS if you are not an advanced linux user.

• You do not say anything about your motherboard or ram. This is important for ZFS. You need ECC ram and more of it with ZFS. In OMV 2.x I would use ext4 as the file system. I would not mess with ZFS if you are not an advanced linux user.

Thank you for your answer.

The board is a asrock itx with Intel n3700 and 8x2 Gb of ram. The storage will be a couple of Western Digital green 2TB. The usage will be mixed nas and HTPC. Regarding the partitions schema, do you have suggestions? Zfs will not used at this point.
    I have not problems with Linux command line console and scripts.

Thanks again,

Luigi

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!