Help!! I reinstalled OMV on a partitioned disk, all data lost

• Hi,

I wanted to reinstall OMV and I had a partitioned 2TB hard drive, I forgot that this would delete the content of the drive.

Is there any way to recover the data of the second partition?

I had over 1TB of movies and personal staff.

Any help would appreciated Im desperated.

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

boot systemrescuecd and try photorec. I doubt you will get the movies back but it is possible. You will need another drive to recover the files to.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• hi,

It seems like the data is lost, I have tried testdisk and the software was able to detect my data partition but after trying to change it to logical something went wrong, the partition recovered is the one from OMV not my data one.

I will give it another try with photorec and let's see.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Photorec is not the right tool but "testdisk" might be your friend.

I have used photorec for this exact situation MANY times. testdisk would never recover the mbr because it is totally overwritten. The data partition maybe but it was overwritten partially with the swap partition. So, in my opinion it is the right tool.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi Wolf2000,

Thank you for your help.

I tried testdisk yesterday and during the scan I could see the lost partition, but when the process finished I couldn't select the partition, I'm running the scan again right now, let's see if I did something wrong. Photorec could recover my files but without the file names, this could be an option but imagine how difficult it will be to assign the names again to all files.

Best regards

• Hi,

I managed to recover all my data using testdisk, this software is amazing! :)

The complete directory structure and files are intact, btw you don't even need another HD as the problematic one returns to it's original state.

Thank you Wolf2000 and ryecoaaron for your support.

I'm rebuilding now my OMV system from scratch and this time with a full backup disk. :D

Best regards

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!