Diskmounts and UID

• Hi everybody,

new user and already the first question. I've installed OMV on a stick to power my new NAS and first thing that caught my attention is the way OMV mounts disks, using disk UID.
    Is that supposed to happen, and more importantly why?
    Repeated the installation: first a Debian bare-system on HD (debian has the additional disks mounted correctly - translating uid in label names). Then apt-get OMV and to my surprise OMV has disabled the label-mounting and again replaced them with UID's as label. What the f.... That's definitely not what the whole UID idea was supposed to be used for.
    Any thoughts?

Cheers

• What the f.... That's definitely not what the whole UID idea was supposed to be used for.

Ah. Ok. And what should it be used for in your opinion?

Using UUID makes it easy to change drive slots for example. You can swap the drives as you like without any problems. Why do you mind? Just create a symlink if you need an easier way.

• Zitat

Using UUID makes it easy to change drive slots for example. You can swap the drives as you like without any problems. Why do you mind? Just create a symlink if you need an easier way.

Using UUID's eat's up valuable address-space. During transfer of old data on the newly created OMV-box, I ran into path-length problems (again) It's a real pane in the a.. trying to convince users to let loose of some of the elaborate ways in wich they sub-dir/name their project archives. I had those discusions in the past and now I am facing them again I guess.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is the first time I have seen a valid reason for shorter mount point names. Unfortunately, there is no fix without changing the config files manually. Submit a bug report here.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Then apt-get OMV and to my surprise OMV has disabled the label-mounting and again replaced them with UID's as label. What the f.... That's definitely not what the whole UID idea was supposed to be used for.

The problem is: Not everyone has a Unique Label set on each filesystem, so how would you counter those issues?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I ran into another recently - using hashbackup to backup my data from /media/data which is a symlink to /media/<uuid>. At some point I migrated the filesystem/disks, so the UUID changed. Obviously I updated the symlink, but the way hashbackup works is that it translates the symlink, so it thought it was backing up a whole load of new files, rather than an incremental backup.

I tweaked my setup to use a bind mount elsewhere for my backup now (for other reasons too), so it's gone away, but I can see how a label-based mount point would've avoided this.
    It's true, this would be more complicated to implement and more fragile - the UI could enforce unique labels for filesystems in config.xml, but you would still have to deal with potential clashes with pre-existing filesystem labels.

I used to be a firm believer of the 'this is the way OMV does it' stance, and if you were capable enough to use the CLI, then you should be able to deal with it yourself. However, I am surprised by how often the issue comes up. I'm starting to think it might be one of those things worth addressing just because of peer pressure, so to speak... :-/

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could always add a second mount point instead of symlink for situations like this. It would just need to be outside of the openmediavault tags in fstab. You would have to maintain it but you are already using the command line for other programs. So, that shouldn't be a big deal.

People do bring this up quite a bit but most of them don't really need it. They either don't know about tab complete when working with command line or don't know about symlinks or they are control freaks and want to be able to set everything. Personally, I have never needed it in all my years of using OMV. Is it a pain once in a while when you want to scp a file from one data drive to a data drive on another box? Yes. But nothing a little cut&paste from a second terminal window can't fix or a symlink.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I recall you can even have remote auto complete path if you use keys

I can't. It only autocompletes from the local paths on the box I just checked.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think you need an .ssh/config host entry and probably password less key or at least in the agent.

I am using passwordless keys.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!