USB boot with HP Proliant Microserver gen 8

• I'm new to OMV and I'm trying to install on HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8 by booting from USB stick. But each time I try I get "no system disk media error" message and boot process stops. I've tried few USB sticks with the same result. I'm sure the stick is fine since I can mount it on my fedora laptop and inspect the content. I don't have CD so USB is ht only option. Any suggestions ?

Tom

P.S.
    I'm thinking about inserting my SSD into my old laptop and booting from CD, installing it there and then transferring the SSD into my HP Microserver. I wonder if that will work?

Tom

• Offizieller Beitrag

How did you write the image to the usb stick? Content doesn't mean the boot sector is ok. You should use dd or win32diskimager.

Yes, you could install on your laptop and then move to the server. You would just have to run omv-firstaid after booting on the server the first time to get your networking set.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I know it's going to sound crazy but try to boot your gen8 and wait a few seconds before inserting your usb (let's say 8 seconds).

Then, when you see the boot menu, press F11 & F3 to boot from USB.

I had issues with USB boot too on GEN 8.

• I also had several issues when starting with OMV on HP mS gen8.
    What seems mandatory to me is: the booting USB stick with the installation software should have 4 GiB. I failed using an 2 GiB stick. And the booting stick should be attached to one of the USB-2.0 ports in the back.
    An empty system stick (8 GiB or more) or SSD to be placed inside.

Then anything should be smooth (of course correct installation file and correct software for copy and setting the USB drive bootable).

If you use a SSD as system, it works only in one of the data ports or with USB-Sata-Adapter inside. In this case, take care that the USB-Sata-Adapter works correctly, some don't pass the smart data properly, which can cause strange issues.
    The internal port 5 (used for CD-Rom) normally is not suitable (bootable) for the systems disk. Special measures (USB starting stick with Grub) has to be taken to make port 5 working as system.
    Hope that helps
    Erik

my setup:
    USB (SLC)-stick with 16 GiB internal as system
    120 GB SSD on port 5 as data-SSD, for anything what needs speed
    rotating hdd in the bays (port 1-4) for data

• I also had several issues when starting with OMV on HP mS gen8.
    What seems mandatory to me is: the booting USB stick with the installation software should have 4 GiB. I failed using an 2 GiB stick. And the booting stick should be attached to one of the…

I'm a bit confused. I've seen youtube videos showing that using sata port 5 on the mob does work with SSD. And it does work for me if I install OMV first on my laptop with the SSD and then transfer SSD to HP. I can boot a reboot it with out a problem. I seems to me that there some issues with boot sector on my USB stick since I can't even boot my laptop with it. I don't know enough about it but I can say that the USB does seems OK since I can browse it and see the files but can't boot off it. GParted does not show boot flag.

I just wander if I'm missing something.

Tom

• two different issues, which really can't be solved in this forum because its leaving OMV relation.

Firstly, an ISO file can be written on a stick to act like a CD-Rom-drive by means of a software like dd or unetbootin. For me it didn't work with smaller USB-stick so I used an 4 GiB-stick. But I can't make a rule out of it. So if it doesn't work in your case, try another stick or try another software.

Second question, where to place the system disk (whether it is a stick or a SSD) in an HP gen8 microserver. I read a lot in advance and there was commen understanding, that port 5 (internal sata for CD-Rom) is not working as bootable device. So I used the internal USB-plug and I am fine. But if you get your system on a SSD and this works on port 5, good for you.

• Same story here! Altough I made the usb stick correctly (tested in a desktop machine, booted fine), the Microserver wouldn't boot.
    I also tried the F11 (boot menu) and press 3 (USB boot) thingy, but no success. The key to the solution was siulman's post about waiting: I waited until the graphical boot screen, then inserted the usb stick, and then F11 and press '3'. And then, success and stuff.

It's quite confusing that there is an option for USB boot in the bios, and it simply doesn't work. But the software side has been the biggest con for every HP product for years, and this is no exception. But hey, the hardware was priced reasonably, and finally I got through their bugware! :D

• I am also a bit of a newbie when it comes to linux, omv, however, the following is my experience:

Installed OMV ISO (many times) on a number of different USB drives (with YUMI, Unetbootin, and finally Rufus) and the server ignored it totally.

Eventually (using the Rufus imaged USB), it booted the Microserver to the OMV3 install menu.

I also tried using the USB2 ports (I am not sure which are USB2, but I eventually got it working on the top front USB port).

The only difference between the last two attempts was that the flash drive which worked was USB2!!!!

The trick of recognising a USB3 flash drive seems to be related to the way the the server loads firmware/software for USB3 comms (maybe later in the boot sequence), rather than the port it-self.

So, try using a USB2 flash drive to do the installs.

Hope this helps!

• Second question, where to place the system disk (whether it is a stick or a SSD) in an HP gen8 microserver. I read a lot in advance and there was commen understanding, that port 5 (internal sata for CD-Rom) is not working as bootable device. So I used the internal USB-plug and I am fine. But if you get your system on a SSD and this works on port 5, good for you.

Just for reference, Gen8 can run a SSD on the 5th bay as boot disk (mine runs exactly that way), with OMV2 (Wheezy) was just a matter of configuring GRUB in the correct way, OMV3 (Jessie) does it correctly without manual intervention.

• Just for reference, Gen8 can run a SSD on the 5th bay as boot disk (mine runs exactly that way), with OMV2 (Wheezy) was just a matter of configuring GRUB in the correct way, OMV3 (Jessie) does it correctly without manual intervention.

How were you able to get OMV3 to boot straight from SSD on the 5th bay? I can't seem to get it.

• How were you able to get OMV3 to boot straight from SSD on the 5th bay? I can't seem to get it.

It is possible 2 use 5th port(ssd/hdd) 2 boot up, BUT ONLY if is no HDD`s in front ray`s!!!
    Otherwise HPE won`t boot up. So,if the server need a reset or putting OFF electrical grid....at boot up(again) hard drives need to be NOT inserted.
    Or BIOS shall recognise hard drive in first slot and say boot up not possible,can not found OS.
    Soooo!!!
    Only and propper way is "internal/motherboard SD/USB stick(Grub) --> 5th port SSD/HDD(OMV) --> Working Great !!!
    In this case is much easyer to install OMV3(64bit) than OMV2(32bit) a specialy when it goes about "grub"-in my case"!!!!!!!!

Unless u are "booting & using OMV from internal USB stick with or withouth 5th port.

• Having a similar issue.

I had esxi booting from a sandisk ultrafit USB disk installed in the internal port.

Today after about a year that install got corrupt and would no longer boot. I've tried re-installing on a bunch of sandisk, kingston, ... and none worked. I tried the boot trick and other ports, but nothing worked.

I installed the same image on the SD reader, and everything is back up.

Can someone recommend any USB drives that actually boot on the microserver and are reliable?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!