iSCSI plugin installation problems

• Hi there,

i needed to install the iSCSI-Plugin, plugin installation is working but when I try to activate the plugin and save the configuration I get this error:

Zitat

Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; invoke-rc.d 'iscsitarget' start 2>&1': Starting iSCSI enterprise target service:FATAL: Module iscsi_trgt not found. failed! invoke-rc.d: initscript iscsitarget, action "start" failed.

I already checked if the module is loaded but it isnt. Also tried the way to reinstall iscsitarget-dkms with "apt-get --reinstall install iscsitarget-dkms" but here I get:

Zitat

Building module:
    cleaning build area....
    make KERNELRELEASE=3.2.0-4-amd64 -C /lib/modules/3.2.0-4-amd64/build M=/var/lib/dkms/iscsitarget/1.4.20.3+svn502/build......(bad exit status: 2)
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.2.0-4-amd64 (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/iscsitarget/1.4.20.3+svn502/build/make.log for more information.

That is what's inside the make.log:

I found a lot of threads here in the forum, it may seems that the plugin installation often has some problems... how can I solve my installation problem?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This isn't a plugin problem. It is a pain in the ass sometimes even if you install just the iscsi package from command line. What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep linux

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'll hijack this thread...here's my output:

Code
    root@omv:/etc/apt# dpkg -l | grep linux
    ii  console-setup-linux                  1.88                           all          Linux specific part of console-setup
    ii  firmware-linux                       0.36+wheezy.1                  all          Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel (meta-package)
    ii  firmware-linux-free                  3.2                            all          Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel
    ii  firmware-linux-nonfree               0.36+wheezy.1                  all          Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel
    ii  libselinux1:i386                     2.1.9-5                        i386         SELinux runtime shared libraries
    ii  linux-base                           3.5                            all          Linux image base package
    ii  linux-image-3.2.0-4-686-pae          3.2.73-2+deb7u3                i386         Linux 3.2 for modern PCs
    ii  linux-image-686-pae                  3.2+46                         i386         Linux for modern PCs (meta-package)
    ii  util-linux                           2.20.1-5.3                     i386         Miscellaneous system utilities
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Why are you using i386?

Try purging the iscsi packages and reinstalling.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

i386 because I have old hardware

What hardware?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it it was capable, I think 64 bit might be a bit faster with a lot of storage but not a big deal. I was just curious what kind of hardware someone would run iscsi on that was only 32 bit :)

• It used to run Lefthand SANiQ, but since upgrading the 250GB disks to 2TB drives, it couldn't handle it, so I decided to go with OMV for the OS to make use of this otherwise great piece of hardware (that's EOL)

Along these lines (perhaps deserves a separate thread?), my only concern is not seeing the condition of the RAID and physical disks. These are MegaRAID controllers. Is there a way to know the status of the disks and the HW RAID? The S.M.A.R.T. interface is just showing the logical volumes provided by the MegaRAID:

I figure it's best to have the HW RAID, and use OMV LVM to combine all the logical disks into one large datastore. Yes?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Check this thread out about megacli to get more info about the drives.

To combine them, I wouldn't use LVM. If a drive fails, you could lose everything in that volume group. Depending on the performance you are looking for, I would either use software raid (mdadm) or pool the drives with a unionfilesystem (mergerfs is good).

• Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Hmm...each of the logical drives you see in the print screen are RAID5 HW RAID with a hot spare. So "losing a drive" shouldn't effect OMV...it wouldn't even know about it. I'm not familiar with unionfilesystem...that's basically what I'm wanting to accomplish with LVM is to be able to pool all those "logical drives".

• Offizieller Beitrag

If they are raid five, then lvm will work. I would still check out mergerfs and the unionfilesystem plugin.

• As for the megacli reference, seems to have dropped off - what's the conclusion to that thread? Is there a deb package for megacli? I did find this, but I'm unclear how to retrieve and install or if this is what I should be attempting.

• To my pleasant surprise, especially since I don't really know what I'm doing, I was successful in installing megaraid-status from the debian sources refrenced above, and actually got identifiable output!:

oooo...and megactl:

Goodie! That's the sort of disk information I'm looking for. But now, what to do with it? Is there any sort of OMV plugin that will show this status or provide any sort of alerting?

• If there isn't a way to incorporate the megaraid-status, is there a way to add a link to the OMV interface, that would run a defined command and show the output? I see some actions will show a command output.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could add a scheduled task (monthly?) and execute it manually when you want to see the output.

• That's a cool trick! Perfect. Thank you.

ryecoaaron: you are single-handedly making this solution viable (due to the sense of "support") for your prompt and helpful contributions via these forums - THANK YOU.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!