Raid5 - Replace ALL the Disks

• Hello Everyone,

It is my first post here.

So here is my problem :

I build a Raid5 with 5x 1To Disk. I want to replace them with 2To Disks. Will my Raid5 automatically resize ?

I just tested inside a VM but the Size remains the same after all disk was change. (I change the disks one by one and rebuild the Raid between each change)

Any ideas ?

Thank you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

After all disks are changed, boot gparted live and fix the size.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you grow the array? Run mdadm --grow /dev/md127 --size=max from command line and then increase the filesystem size. You can do the grow command in gparted live as well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV should have this option in the WebUI.

It kind of does. When you add a disk to the array by using the grow button, it does the grow. When you replace disks instead of add, it doesn't do that.

• Zitat von xander3690: „OMV should have this option in the WebUI.“
    It kind of does. When you add a disk to the array by using the grow button, it does the grow. When you replace disks instead of add, it doesn't do that.

Can I replace my 4x4TB drives one by one with 6TB ones (replace, resync, replace, resync ...) and afterwards use the Grow Button?

• Why would you do that?

Resyncing would chew up much time for each replacement, not even to mention the risk of dooing this.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!