Need suggestion for my NAS build

• Hi,

I'm thinking about building my own NAS for some time, and I'm now looking for some hardware suggestions. I've already read some interesting posts on this forum, but I would like to ask some more questions.

My needs are:

• 2TB HDD space
    • >10MB/s transfert rate (the more, the better)
    • Reliable
    • Cheap
    • Power efficient
    • Silent

Basically, I'll use this NAS to store data I don't want to loose, that's why "Reliable" is in my needs: If I put files in it, I would like to be fairly sure that I won't loose them even if I don't have any other backups.
    I'll store my personal files (music, source code of my projects, backup of servers,...) and the ones from my girlfriend (she is a graphist, she has a lot of images, projects, videos,...). The NAS will be mainly accessed via Samba.
    I do no t plan to use this NAS as a media player, transcoder, downloader,...

I see to possibilities:

• Using an ARM SBC, like the Odroid XU4, and connect 2x 2TB external hard drives
    • Build a full low-cost computer (based on a mini-ITX motherboard with fanless CPU, and internal SATA drives).

In both cases, I would use one hard drive as the "data" hard-drive, and the second one as a backup. A cron job would run rsync every night to backup the "data" hard drive on the second one, the "backup" hard drive.
    I think that the XU4 will be cheaper than a full low-cost PC, and will be more power efficient, but it is also less expandable. And I don't know about the reliability of the board and its power supply.
    The PC would cost more money and use more electricity, but it is more expandable.

I've already tried to build this kind of NAS with a RaspberryPi and my openWRT router, but the network speed is too low (~6Mo/s for the rpi and ~10 for my router).

What do you think about this? Do you have any thoughts about the 2 solutions? Or another possibility?

Thanks for your help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could use a Fitlet with a m-sata ssd. I use it for my router but it would be great for your project especially the silent part. Everything except for the drive for $300. Is quad core with four intel gigabit network ports.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• To get it even cheaper you could use a Banana PI. Around 70 € in total, without HDD(s) of course.

I use it as a single-bay NAS with 2TB HDD.
    Additionally you can add a HDD for backups via USB and rsync your data daily, for example.

Works pretty well with OMV. Additionally I installed Seafile for cloud syncing, like Dropbox. 8)

OMV 5.x | Banana PI (M1) | Seafile Server
    OMV 4.x | ShuttlePC SH55J2

• My NAS build is very similar to yours. My intention was the same: having a backup of my personal files no matter if I have another backup or not. I opted for a mini-ITX board with a Sempron 3850 at 1.3GHz (25W of TDP), 2 HDD and I recently changed the OS drive for a 30GB SSD. I haven't tested the power consumption but I don't think it would be a hassle since I don't think you would want to leave it powered on 24/7. I use the WOL plugin to run a cron job every time my OMV boots to schedule a power-on the next day at around 8 AM. Then, another cron job shuts the machine down at 00:30h (after a daily RSnapshot is taken and saved to the secondary data drive).

I'm giving you some ideas in software. If you want more detail of my build, you can check my signature or you can send me a PM and we can discuss if you want.

Hope it helps!
    Guillem

DISCLAIMER: :!: I'm not a native English speaker, I'm sorry if I don't explain as good as you would want. :!:

My NAS:
    Always the latest OMV Erasmus running on an AMD Sempron 3850 @1.3GHz with 4.9.0 Backports Kernel
    with 120GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO for OpenMediaVault & 2x500GB Primary Data HDD + 1TB Secondary HDD for Backup & 2TB USB 3.0 External HDD for offline backup

Plugin list:
    Flash Memory, Locate, OMV-Extras.org, RSnapshot, Sensors, Syncthing, SMB/CIFS, SSH, USB Backup
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zitat

The Schrödinger's code is that one which is going to work and it's full of bugs at the same time; until you test it, you won't be able to determine it.

• I like the msata idea for the SSD. You are always better if you are amd64 versus ARM where plugins/packages are concerned. I have spare parts laying around again and I'm looking to build another small device. Been looking at the Gigabyte Brix S models. You can choose from various cpus (Intel Celeron through i7). They have 2 dimms for ram ( SO-DIMM DDR3L or DDR4l). Also, there is a holder in the lid for 2.5 inch drive and they have an msata slot.

http://www.gigabyte.com/produc…spx?s=47&ck=104&p=367&v=1

And your transfer rates you should expect way more the 10BM/s. Maybe like 60MB/s through 115MB/s depending on file types you are transferrring.

But if you love tinkering and are not worried about having all the plugins you may enjoy the ARM devices.

• You could use a Fitlet with a m-sata ssd. I use it for my router but it would be great for your project especially the silent part. Everything except for the drive for $300. Is quad core with four intel gigabit network ports.

That is a nice piece of hardware! I assume that it might be able work as OMV machine, switch and router with the right software.

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

• What I really like about OMV, is the huge range of compatible hardware and everything you can do with it!

Hi...some kinda that? My Single Drive NAS Project

Because Thin Clients are intended for remote management in a business environment, the hardware tends to include a decent quality NIC and be engineered for reliability. I think that makes them a great candidate for a budget home NAS (if the lack of expansion isn't an issue). They tend to become obsolete rather than break, so its easy to find bargains on eBay and the like. I think Eryan's is a great example too (link in his signature). Before I found OMV, I ran Ubuntu Server on an HP Thin Client for 36 months straight without any down time at all.

My NAS build is very similar to yours. My intention was the same: having a backup of my personal files no matter if I have another backup or not. I opted for a mini-ITX board with a Sempron 3850 at 1.3GHz (25W of TDP), 2 HDD and I recently changed the OS drive for a 30GB SSD. I haven't tested the power consumption...

I ran a setup similar to gsola96's for several months (mine only had one drive). I tested the power consumption before I took it down: Sleep ~1.4watts, Idle (drive spun down) ~9-11 watts, Active Transfer ~15-17 watts. So pretty efficient for a desktop board, and even though the stock CPU Cooler has a fan, its pretty much silent,

I like the msata idea for the SSD. You are always better if you are amd64 versus ARM where plugins/packages are concerned. I have spare parts laying around again and I'm looking to build another small device. Been looking at the Gigabyte Brix S models....

I put a couple Brix desktop set-ups together for family recently. The Intel model was reaally impressive. Well laid out inside, ran cool and the fan (which drew air from under the montherboard where the drives couldn't obstruct it) was totally silent. Even with an mSATA and a 2.5 Drive the airflow seemed good. The The other was a "Brix Gaming" model with AMD processor, and the side mounted 40mm fans sounded like a 747 on takeoff.

Just trying to get by

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Markess ()

• "It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one." -George Washington

Current OMV Server Configuration: 8GB Avexir DDR4 Ram, Pentium G4400 Dual Core CPU, Corsair CS550M Power Supply, Fractal Design Core 1100, 2X2 TB WD RE4 HDD, MSI B150M-PRO VD, 2X ISTARUSA 5.25 to Hot Swap Drive Trays.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von DeviousDog ()

• Hi!

Thank you very very much for all these suggestions! There are so many possibilities.

Anyway, in the mean time, I decided to order an Odroid XU4, as I wanted to try some things on it, for this project and for other ones.

So, my first try will be with the XU4. I'll be able to discover the world of the DIY NAS, and have a better idea of what I need.

I'll certainly come back to report my status and ask some questions if needed :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!