Recommendation for config/migration

• Hi. I just found OMV and it looks like just what I want but wanted to get some advice. Background: I use my network storage primarily for media serving (mostly FLAC music to my sonos), and as a local target for crashplan backups of local laptops. Previously, I used a Drobo attached to a PC and loved the ability to flexibly use different sizes drives but was frustrated by how slow it was. So I sold that and just put two 3TB WD Reds in my windows PC in RAID1 (NTFS). This works ok but my windows box is a not a true server so it sometimes gets turned off and I find the Windows10 firewall to be constantly "helping too much". So I'd like to turn the box into a true nas and also add another 3TB of usable storage. The question is with what settings and how to migrate It sounds like snap raid on OMV with 1 more 3TB drive might be the answer to the flexibility question but would I be better off with plain raid5 If I do the latter can I expand to a 4th drive later? Second question: how to get my files to the OMV since I'd like to use the existing 3TB drives Can I set up 2 drives in OMV, mount the third still with NTFS data, copy it over, then expand the array by converting and adding the drive that originally had the data to the arty How hard is this? Thanks

• A lot of questions. I will try to answer a few. I think you will be happy looking at some of the uses you would like to get out of OMV. If you buy one blank WD red use it is as first data drive. Move data from one of the drives on the Windows machine via gigabit network or you could mount it as NTFS in OMV and then transfer data. I would not use a drive with NTFS as a permanent solution on your OMV. So one by one after you get data off a drive convert it to ext4 format. This should work OK if you are going the Snap RAID route.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!