Improve PLEX transcoding on a low power PC

• Hello,

I'm a pretty recent user of OMV and so far I can say I'm still on the honeymoon. :)

I'm running it on an low-power, headless JNF95A-270-LF Intel Atom PC (1st Generation Intel® Atom N270 @ 2.5W (512K Cache, 1.60 GHz, 533 MHz FSB) with 2GB RAM and GB ethernet) and in terms of NFS and CIF/SMB sharing it's working great: Much faster than my other NAS (WD-MyCloud).

Anyway, I installed the OMV-extras PLEX plugin but unfortunately my system isn't powerfull enough to perform the transcoding (the graphic card is Intel GMA950 Integrated Graphics).
    However, I found some mini-pci-express video decoder boards for sale in ebay like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/BCM700…2068a7:g:FLMAAOSwBahVFR~Q).

Does anyone knows if this kind of boards can be used/compatible by/with OS/PLEX in order to improve the transcoding?

If not, would a "normal PCI" graphics board (evethough my system is headless), help the transcoding? If so, would it work "automagically", or would it require any special configuration?

Thanks,
    Joaoabs

• Offizieller Beitrag

The transcoding is done with the Cpu not the GC. That card won't help you.
    Try to configure plex to avoid transcoding, is difficult sometimes in some devices like the firetv. Or use kodi which does not use transcoding at all, files are played directly from the network source.

• I use a similarly low power Atom, and there's nothing you can do to speed it up. But you can get yourself a Raspberry Pi to use as client and you won't have to worry about transcoding. Both Rasplex and Kodi/Plexbmc work flawlessly on it. Or if you use Amazon Prime, go for a FireTV.

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!