Can't Delete folder created by transmission

• Hi all,

I just reinstalled my OMV from scratch following the instructions from the forum avoiding ACLs, just using privileges, but I have problems with Transmission as I can not delete the folders from downloaded torrents, in order to be able to delete them I need first to reset the permissions every time from the shared folder. Any ideas?

I'm using Midnight Commander thru SSH to move/copy/delete the files in my system.

Any ideas? I'm just beginner using Linux and i'm not very familiar with all the commands I've seen in other posts.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

• Yep,

you need to change the way "debian-transmission" user create folders and files:

Go to /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json
    and change
    "umask": 0,

With "0" transmission is creating "folders" & "files" with a chmod "777". Someone could tell that this is too much permission but for me it's ok..torrent downloads are moviles and shows or music....

you can play with umask if you want to be more specific with permissions.

Cheers!

EDIT: oh! before editing: service transmission-daemon stop and once edited, service transmission-daemon start.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try and make sure first transmission has a flexible umask.
    In the umask options of transmission put the value 2.
    The folders that transmission uses make sure they have group ownership of 'users'.
    chgrp users -r folder/
    And change the setgid of the folders
    chmod 2775 folder/
    That will force all newly create folders and files to preserve the group ownership.The setgid should be there if the shared folder was created with omv webui.

• @siulman you cannot make changes in settings.json if you're using the plugin. If you do so, and you change any other settings in transmission you'll lose the umask value. Remember the plugin has full control of all the transmission settings

absolutely!
    I forgot that one. You are right.

Plus, there is the "umask" option on the OMV webgui when using the plugin, so it's even easier...

• Hi Guys,

I have set the umask to value "2" in the transmission plugin, could someone please explain me how to input the commands below?

chgrp users -r folder/
    And change the setgid of the folders
    chmod 2775 folder/

thanks

• Hi Subzero7,

Thank you for your support!

Is there any difference? Is this because of security? Does this mean that transmission could delete my media folders not related to the download folder?

Sorry for all the questions but I''m still learning about OMV.

• Ah ah! It could! But certainly not without asking him ^_^. He is havig w/r permissions on your folders that have the "users" group.

That's why I only change the owner to "debian-transmission" of my "downloads" folder and only this one :)
    Just in case...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!