New to raid got a question.

• I set up my box using a 20gig main drive and 4 50gig drives creating a raid0 set-up. I am wondering if I will be able to expand that by adding 4 more drives to the array. At the moment I really don't have a lot on the array so I could delete it but it does take a while to create the drives...I am using a vm.

Now that I have it up and running I really like the system so I am ready to create a much bigger array to hold all my files, music, video for streaming and sharing. Now if I could figure out how to get the website plugin to work but I will read up on that after I get the system set-up.

I am very impressed with OpenMediaVault I am able to stream 1080ip movies to my TV with out a hitch, using Plex to stream MKV files... it's also nice to have the ability to enable the extra plugins an SSH into the system.

I have a six core system with 8 gigs of ram, using Vmware - set two cpu's, 2 gig ram, then create the number of drives I need using a 1 terabyte drive. The set-up really works well super fast now I just need to make it bigger. If this is not the correct way to run OpenMediaVault in a VM I am open to all suggestions, as I am very new to this but I do have a fair amount of time with Ubuntu.

Thanks.

• Am I correct in thinking that I could just delete the drive under filesystems then just add the other drives and recreate the array...since I just installed the system last knight and I only have a few movies on it for testing, seems like the way for me to go.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If all of the virtual drives are on one hard drive, why make a raid array? I would just add one big virtual drive. You don't have to delete the old array unless you need the space.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi, Since I am simulating an os I was hoping that I would still get the benefits of using the same schema for the set-up. Since I am using one drive I have to create the 20gig OMV drive anyway then create the one large drive or two or four independent drives, but if I am not gonna get any results by doing that I wont wast my time with it I am gonna have to do a little reading up on raid and VM.

• 20 gig for the root drive is okay and not building a raid out of a single physical disk is also improving performance. So this is definitely better. To support HD Video is from disk perspective no challenge. It has at max 5MByte/sec read requirements to stream it. If you want to use your OMV installation as file server with that Raid construct it will kill off all performance for sure.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!