Boot on ancient SSD SATA5000 using usb2 rather than SATA slot

• My system details are on my profile, and as per the title, I'm trying to use a cheap SSD as boot without losing a SATA slot.

This SSD is very slow, so usb3 case would be overkill, but from what I read that won't be a problem.
    the case has a y cable for 5v power.

its my first OMV build so I'll have more questions I'm sure.

I was looking for a guide to installing to a SSD/usb and saw someone had a problem getting the SSD to be recognised as permanent boot.

Any advice?

• I installed OMV to a small SATA SSD, plugged into a SATA port. I then took it out of the machine and put it into one of those SATA to USB external drive cases that connects with a USB 3.0 cable. I plugged it into a USB 2.0 port and it boots fine.

My advice is to just try it and see. It worked for me.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hi, I'm thinking of doing something similar; I plan to use the sata to usb controller board from an old external drive and connect my boot 2.5" hdd using it. Then use a usb to usb header cable and move the drive inside the case and connect it using the usb header on the motherboard since I have 2 spare ones. It's gonna be a few days before I get the header cable but would love to know how your setup turns out.

• It shouldn't matter where the USB port is connected. My OMV will boot from an external USB SATA drive from every port on the machine:

MB internal USB header connected to front panel USB ports (2),
    MB USB ports (2) pointing out the back of the case I/O shield,
    PCIe USB 3.0 extension card card ports (4) - 2 on card slot bracket, 2 on front panel.

The only problem I can foresee would be that any addin control card must have Debian 7.x (wheezy) drivers available.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks for the reply, I took the controller board from a really old 500gb external lacie hdd. I plan to use the sata to usb interface and power it directly from the psu instead of the dc power out that's on the controller board.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!