omv install on a usb stick vs. ssd(with data)

• I need to make some changes to my Nas setup and was wondering what the drawbacks are to:
    1) running omv of a usb stick ( and what usb stick are suggested)
    2) running omv of a ssd which I would also use for data storage ( for sync applications and things that a frequently accessed so the hdd doesn't have to spin up)

• 1a) USB Stick with SLC (single level cell), not cheaper than a small SSD
    1b) Standard quality stick with MLC (the normal ones), to get it reliable, the flashmemory plugin is mandatory.

2) OMV out of the box takes the whole drive. It is possible to repartion (GPArted) the SSD after installation, leaving at least 8 GB of system and an additional partition with the remaining space for data.

Option 1 and using the SSD straight for data seems to be easier, but both ways are no rocket science.

• If you have a spare Sata-Port or a usb to sata adapter, a HDD or SSD is better than a USB Stick. However, since we have the flashmemory plugin like erik said, you can use USB Sticks, too.

But what are potential downsides to storing data on the same drive the OS is installed on (two partitions).
    Some people advise against this practice and I would like to know why, so I can make my own "educated" decision.

• If you have a spare Sata-Port or a usb to sata adapter, a HDD or SSD is better than a USB Stick. However, since we have the flashmemory plugin like erik said, you can use USB Sticks, too.

I had serious problems with an USA-Sata-adapter, bought for this purposes. Anytime I tried to switch on Smart-reading, the GUI froze. Another side effect, setting of time or time zone was impossible. The adapter itself was ok, transfer speed and stability were good.
    Nice welcome for OMV-beginner!
    Then I switched to USB-flash stick as system and everything worked.

Funny, for testing I put the same SSD with the old 'faulty' installation in a 2,5"-external case and plugged this to internal USB, this worked flawless. But as the stick still I arrived, I stayed with this solution. So USB-Sata may work, but this can cause strange problems.

• But what are potential downsides to storing data on the same drive the OS is installed on (two partitions).
    Some people advise against this practice and I would like to know why, so I can make my own "educated" decision.

The only downside I see is, that after installation of OMV, you have to connect your SSD to another Linux-OS to re-partition it. After this there are no further obstacles and you can use this additional partition as data. I did this for testing (re-sizing system to 16 GiB) and it works flawless.

Some people just re-map the free space of system to data by means of symbolic links.
    This also works, but there is always danger, that data is eating up the space of system.

To my understanding, the 2-partition solution should be safe.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!