ATA Error Count Increasing

• Hey Guys,

I've been running OMV for a couple weeks now, a mixture of 4 older 3TB WD Red drives, and 4 new 3TB WD Red drives, using SnapRaid and MergerFS to pool them.

But I've noticed weekly I get hard drive reports stating the ATA error count has increased,

Device: WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WMC4N1021445 [SAT], ATA error count increased from 5 to 6
    Device: WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WCC4N4RR3U8L [SAT], ATA error count increased from 8 to 9
    Device: WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WCC4N7TACJ0Z [SAT], ATA error count increased from 5 to 6
    Device: WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WCC4N7TACULH [SAT], ATA error count increased from 3 to 4
    Device: WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WCC4N0EP7C5R [SAT], ATA error count increased from 5 to 6
    Device: WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WCC1T1153741 [SAT], ATA error count increased from 5 to 6
    Device: WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WMC4N0942489 [SAT], ATA error count increased from 5 to 6
    Device: WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WCC4N76L03FY [SAT], ATA error count increased from 9 to 10

I used to run a QNAP before OMV with 4 of the drives in Raid5, so these errors are definitely new.

I do understand a couple of my drives have a high Load_Cycle_Count. 2 out of 4 of my original WD Reds were from the batch that had the head park set to like 7 seconds, so they racked up quite a count.

As for my system, I'm running:
    Intel Xeon E3-1220V3
    SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7 (Flashed to IT mode for running the 8 x 3TB drives)
    16GB Cruial DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered Ram (2 x 8GB Sticks)

Can anyone provide some insight or suggestions as to what might be happening, or if this is a concern? I don't see any Offline Uncorrectable errors or bad sectors, so that has to mean a good thing right? All my drives are within warrenty, including my 4 original ones (until the end of this year)

Any help or input is very much appreciated!

I'll post one of the smart results in a reply to this, as I'm running into Message Too Long to post.
    Scratch that, my reply don't seem to be showing up. Please find each drive's full Smart Extended Attributes attached here, with each filename being the drives serial number.

• WMC4N1021445:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 V3
    Mobo: SUPERMICRO X10SL7-F
    RAM: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 ECC Unbuffered PC3 12800
    Drives: 8 x 3TB WD Red (Snapraid Pool with 2 Parity), 2 x 120GB Sandisk SSD's (1: OS + Storage, 2: Storage)

• I'm using 3TB WD Red also, and they're tend to be having this issue.
    Swap out your SATA cables/port, and see if the error goes away.
    If not, do a RMA while it's still in warranty.
    Avoid buying 3TB WD Red in the future.
    Avoid using spindown the HDDs in the power setting to prolong the HDD life.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• I can't just RMA all 8 of my drives (4 of them being 2 years old, and 4 of them being under 2 months old) just because of an ATA Error. The other drive statistics themselves are just fine.

I could see if one or two of them were having some issues, but all 8 of them showing this error, I'm trying to find out a valid cause as to why all 8 of them are doing this with OMV.

I never spin down my drives, the head parking was part of the hard drive firmware (Similar to the WD Green drives), and came from a bad batch of them. I disabled the head parking altogether with the 4 oldest ones as soon as I actually realized last month. All 4 of the new ones have a time set of 300 seconds before parking the heads which is fine for me.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 V3
    Mobo: SUPERMICRO X10SL7-F
    RAM: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 ECC Unbuffered PC3 12800
    Drives: 8 x 3TB WD Red (Snapraid Pool with 2 Parity), 2 x 120GB Sandisk SSD's (1: OS + Storage, 2: Storage)

• I"m not implying you need to return all eight drives at the same time.
    I'm not an expert on hard drive, but update your BIOS firmware, see if that help.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Reading that all of your drives go up on the ATA Error count either your Sata Controller wen't sideways or something else changed dramatically. When did those errors start to occur, right from the start after switching from QNAP?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hey David,

Yeah these errors started after I built my NAS and switched over from my QNAP. Bought 4 additional drives, played with FreeNAS for awhile, but ended up moving over to OMV completely due to easier interface and usability.

I built the system brand new a month ago though, and noticed the first errors started around Jan 29th, shortly after I started using OMV.

I know its unlikely, but could I have 8 faulty Sata cables causing issues? Maybe I need to move the power and sata cables to be further apart from one another, I didn't think that would cause issues.
    It could also be the firmware of the onboard LSI 2308 controller on the Supermicro X10SL7-F motherboard.
    I flashed it to IT mode with the latest version 20 of the firmware. I know a few places suggested version 16, and a few suggested 15, I really wasn't sure which would ultimately be the best. I have versions 15, 16.0.1, 19, and 20 downloaded.

Attached is a picture with the first 4 drives installed initially after setup, I haven't had a chance to go down and pull the side off to get a picture with all 8, but they are all in a neat line.

• I really can't tell but I think it may be worth to try the other fw version if those are the more suggested ones.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!