Raid 1 Missing After Reboot

• @subzero79, I executed the command but I am not sure the RAID changed as it did not appear in the GUI. Do you want me to resync the RAID, or should it already be in sync?

Code
    update-initramfs -u
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64
    • Offizieller Beitrag

No, you have to rebuild,
    But before that why don't you upgrade your kernel to backport one? That platform looks quite new,
    Go to omv-extras press the button install backport kernel, reboot and then resync again and run initramfs update as before.

If that doesn't work, then maybe @ryecoaaron can help you and has more ideas

Last option would be to discard the sw raid and mirror contents from one drive to another using rsync one or two times a day.

• I am currently re syncing the drives. During the backports kernel install, even though it completed successfully, near the end it said there was a possibly missing firmware with the file ending .fw. When should I run initramfs update? After re sync or during re sync?

"It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one." -George Washington

Current OMV Server Configuration: 8GB Avexir DDR4 Ram, Pentium G4400 Dual Core CPU, Corsair CS550M Power Supply, Fractal Design Core 1100, 2X2 TB WD RE4 HDD, MSI B150M-PRO VD, 2X ISTARUSA 5.25 to Hot Swap Drive Trays.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von DeviousDog ()

• I did update-initramfs -u again and below is the output.

Current OMV Server Configuration: 8GB Avexir DDR4 Ram, Pentium G4400 Dual Core CPU, Corsair CS550M Power Supply, Fractal Design Core 1100, 2X2 TB WD RE4 HDD, MSI B150M-PRO VD, 2X ISTARUSA 5.25 to Hot Swap Drive Trays.

• Ok so I did reboot after rebuild and initramfs update and the HW RAID did vanish. I know the firmware missing has to do with the Realtek Gigabit Ethernet Controller (I know, not the best for Linux). The backports kernel had many updates pending so I installed them and the fw missing vanished. Does the motherboard have to be RAID Compatible for SW RAID because I know B150 does not support RAID? I believe until I upgrade to an Xeon or AMD Zen platform and get HW RAID, i'll backup my Data to a USB HDD and use rsync for the HDDs.

• I'll do that but RSYNC will have to do if RAID disappears. Maybe the RAID issue is a configuration problem and doing what you said above should work.

• In an attempt to make a backup of my data through windows 7 with EXT2FSD, I observed that the HDD were formatted in RAW Format, which is unusual as during a RAID Rebuild as soon as the disks finished resyncing, they were recognized as EXT4 FS HDD. Could the disks being identified as RAW FS by OMV cause the issues?

Bilder

• @subzero79 After I backup the data, should I perform a quick or secure wipe on the HDD?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You shouldn't need to do a secure wipe.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• After I performed a quick wipe and rebuild the RAID 1 Array, for some reason the data and the file system were still on the drives. I believe that a secure wipe will be necessary. My question is as to why would the file system persist after a quick wipe?

• This is extremely strange and unusual. After performing the quick wipe and rebooting the server, the RAID persisted. Would it be possible that dual file systems on a HDD caused the conflicts?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von DeviousDog () aus folgendem Grund: clarity

• Below are some of the relevant configurations after the persistent RAID after reboot if it assists anyone with a similar issue.

cat /proc/mdstat

blkid

fdisk -l

• @subzero79 yes it is now working correctly. I believe the issue had something to do with partition issues and OMV creating 2 file systems on the same HDD, which can cause issues. My question is as to why OMV would not recognize the partitions and /or indicate that there is an already existing filesystem.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've did not notice that the actual disks had a GPT already before being conformed into an array. In general mdadm has no trouble handling devices with a partition table, but I've learned from experience in this forum that having one or more devices conforming the array with a partition present causes this kind of issues. I mentioned it in this thread, but i missed your fdisk post, otherwise that would've been my first suggestion, destroy and create again.

bottom line, mdadm works better with plain raw block devices.

• Thank you for your assistance @subzero79 and @ryecoaaron. Hopefully this assists someone as I have seen in the forums that there are many issues with RAID.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!