How to install Seafile with MySQL and SSL

• I notice one thing that the seafile doesn't restart after OMV reboot because the path in the script is call seafile-server-latest but the installation directory is named seafile-server-5.1.2.

Therefore, you need to do this change: mv seafile-server-5.1.2/ seafile-server-latest
    Then reboot the server or perform: service seafile-server restart

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

• I notice one thing that the seafile doesn't restart after OMV reboot because the path in the script is call seafile-server-latest but the installation directory is named seafile-server-5.1.2.

Therefore, you need to do this change: mv seafile-server-5.1.2/ seafile-server-latest
    Then reboot the server or perform: service seafile-server restart

Usually the update script creates a link from .../seafile-server-<Version> to seafile-latest. Do not move any directory if you plan to use the seafile update scripts.
    Please check the seafile installation manual even if this mentions an older version it is still correct. If you do not have the link, your initial install or update is bogus.

This is how it looks after a few updates:

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Mine didn't create a symbolic link:

Since it didn't create automatically for me, I've to created a symbolic link myself.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

• @tinh_x7Your permissions for the seafile-server-5.1.3 folder look strage. Dou you have a user with UID 500 on your system or did you use tar zxpf <file> to extract the archive?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Hi,

I have a question concerning Part 4, Step 3:
    isn't there supposed to be a

Code
    location /media {
                root /opt/seafile/seafile/seafile-server-latest/seahub;
            }

section in the nginx extras option? According to the seafile installation manual at http://manual.seafile.com/deploy/https_with_nginx.html there is one.

Another thing: I don't know if you are aware of the "official" installation script of seafile at https://github.com/seafile/sea…/master/seafile_v5_debian
    It should only be run on a freshly installed machine, but you could certainly grab some hardened configurations out of it. It is rather complex and I certainly don't understand all of its content but I thought it would we worth mentioning this.

Thanks a lot for all your work, I will be testing this procedure soon!

• Sorry you're you are having trouble. I'm still updating the guide. My character limit is full in the guide so i had to remove the warning about it being updated.

I must admit, that is one section of the guide I haven't touched cause its worked since day one. You think I should append your suggestion?

• location /media {
    }

Yes your server configuration for seafile should include this!

@tinh_x7:
    1. you should run seafile with a seafile user
    2. Therefore the whole /seafile directory should've the seafile user as owner and group
    --> command would be chown seafile:seafile <seafile_directory>
    3. Please consider the seafile server manual for the upgrade scripts. There is a script for every upgrade step (to be executed with the specific seafile user)!
    --> http://manual.seafile.com/deploy/upgrade.html
    - There are specific scripts for Major (2.x.x -> 3.x.x), Minor (2.0.x --> 2.1.x) and Maintenance upgrades (2.1.0 --> 2.1.1)
    - You should never have to manually change or add any symbolic links

So when upgrading, you should
    - extract it with: tar xzf ...
    - update the permissions of the extracted new directory: chown seafile:seafile ....
    - STOP seafile server
    - use the correct upgrade script inside the new directory: e.g. .../seafile-server-5.1.2/upgrade
    --> THIS will update symbolic links you need
    - START seafile server

OMV 5.x | Banana PI (M1) | Seafile Server
    OMV 4.x | ShuttlePC SH55J2

• Well, it's in their official documentation. I would definetely append it.

This scrip assumes it is running on a freshly installed system and starts with configuring network, firewall, mail server, ...
    It will almost for sure destroy your OMV installation.

The manual (and the tutorial) has all you need.

• sieben, just so i understand that code the "root" means root user yeah?... So should that be changed to the seafile user?... I works as is though :)

I am not sieben, but: No this is not the root user.

The code

Code
    location /media {
     }

just declares that the directory /opt/seafile/seafile/seafile-server-latest/seahub should be used when the browser requests urls like http://<your server>/media/<something>

If you change it to seafile, nginx will compain about not beeing able to interpret the configuration.

• @Zoki: Yes as I said, it is exactly like that in the manual manual.seafile.com/deploy/deploy_with_nginx.html

And correct, it's the specification for the root-directory, not the user

• I already installed Seafile as root.
    It's working fine.

What's the difference to install it as user root vs user seafile ?

Two features that I see Seafile missing are external storage mounting and an antivirus.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

• you don't have to "install" it again...
    change the permissions, change your init-script, and that's it. And if you start it manually with the seafile-start script, just use the seafile user and not root.

The difference is the fundamental thought of security in your system, that nothing should run with root privileges, which doesn't have to.

Do you mean to have a second/third/... external storage?

• Maybe I re-install it again.
    OwnCloud and Pydio have the feature that let you mount local storage to use your existing data.
    Don't know why the dev of Seafile not implement this feature for users.
    Some users say you can symbolic link the existing data drive to /seafile-data as a work around.
    But no luck for me.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• I think I found the external storage guide, not sure if this work on the community edition.
    http://manual.seafile.com/deploy_pro/seaf_import.html

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• Maybe I re-install it again.
    OwnCloud and Pydio have the feature that let you mount local storage to use your existing data.
    Don't know why the dev of Seafile not implement this feature for users.
    Some users say you can symbolic link the existing data drive to /seafile-data as a work around.
    But no luck for me.

Hi @tinh_x7 Seafile uses a completely different aproach in storing files than owncloud. It stores files in an internal format only.
    If you wish to share existing data you have to create a library and import your data into it. This results in double storage requirements and does not have a sync feature.
    You can install the seafile cli client to synchronize an existing directory with a seafile library.

The seafile-import feature you mentioned is a pro feature (payed version), but can easyly be simulated using an client or the API.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!