MergerFS Pool and User Shares

• OMV 2.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• MergerFS Pool and User Shares

I have been trying to build a new media server for home use. I have chosen to use OMV and am happy so far. I could use some assistance in building the user shares which
      will be accessed using the CIFS/SMB in Windows. This is my confugrautin so far:

1 * 4TB Data (EXT4)
      2 * 2TB Data (EXT4)

I'm currently booting from a USB flash drive using the Flash plug-in and may switch to an SSD in future.
      I will be adding another 4TB for parity when I get to SnapRaid. Plan to use Plex media server and MySQL for Kodi. I also plan to use VirtualBox eventually.

I have installed the Unionfilesystem plugin and successfully built a pool using MergerFS. I can see the pool online. My questions are:

1) Should I create a single top level share in the pool and create other folders as needed in Windows?
      2) Should I create top level shares each for movies, music, photo in the pool?
      3) If I am creating shares directly in the pool, do I need to worry where (read disk) individual files are being stored by MergerFS? I am using the default MergerFS options.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    • bunts wrote:

2) Should I create top level shares each for movies, music, photo in the pool?

I'd go that route, that way you have proper permission control over all folders.

bunts wrote:

3) If I am creating shares directly in the pool, do I need to worry where (read disk) individual files are being stored by MergerFS? I am using the default MergerFS options.

Files will be spread even over all hard disks (considering free space) as far as I know, so if you ever want to ever access them manually be aware that they're spread. Doesn't matter much though since you could allways make the pool and get the files from the merged pool and get them from there if necessary.

Greetings
      David
      "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
      #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
      Absolutely no Support via PM!

I host parts of the omv-extras.org Repository, the OpenMediaVault Live Demo and the pre-built PXE Images. If you want you can take part and help covering the costs by having a look at my profile page.
    • UPDATE : github.com/trapexit/mergerfs

Please read Policies section.
      OMV 4.1.11 x64 on a HP T510, 16GB CF as Boot Disk & 32GB SSD 2,5" disk for Data, 4 GB RAM, CPU VIA EDEN X2 U4200 is x64 at 1GHz

Post: HPT510 SlimNAS ; HOWTO Install Pi-Hole ; HOWTO install MLDonkey ; HOHTO Install ZFS-Plugin ; OMV_OldGUI ; ShellinaBOX ;
      Dockers: MLDonkey ; PiHole ; weTTY
      Videos: @TechnoDadLife

The post was edited 1 time, last by raulfg3 ().