OMV 3.x for Banana/Raspberry PI

• Hat denn jemand es bisher geschafft OMV 3 auf einem Banana PI laufen zu lassen
    UND von der einer HDD/SSD zu booten, ohne, dass diese nur als read-only gemountet wird?

Oder habt ihr das OS einfach auf der sd-card belassen?

Grüße

OMV 5.x | Banana PI (M1) | Seafile Server
    OMV 4.x | ShuttlePC SH55J2

• Hat denn jemand es bisher geschafft OMV 3 auf einem Banana PI laufen zu lassen

https://sourceforge.net/projec…s/Other%20armhf%20images/ --> write the image with Etcher --> boot it --> activate SSH access in the UI --> partition the SATA device manually as you want (OMV doesn't need that much space unless you want to also run Plex without modifications) --> nand-sata-install --> /dev/sda1 --> done (tested by me when working on nand-sata-install +10 times)

Personally I would prefer buying a new and good SD card with at least 32 GB (the larger the later they wear out) and simply run OMV off the card since flashmemory plugin is active and all settings optimized to reduce wear on SD card anyway. Also there's absolutely no difference in performance with latest settings when comparing OMV on SD card vs. on a SATA device as long as you don't use crappy SD cards (noname, Kingston, Intenso, PNY and most other 'retail brands' -- check especially the links at the top here: https://forum.armbian.com/inde…/954-sd-card-performance/ )

• sourceforge.net/projects/openm…s/Other%20armhf%20images/ --> write the image with Etcher --> boot it --> activate SSH access in the UI --> partition the SATA device manually as you want (OMV doesn't need that much space unless you want to also run Plex without modifications) --> nand-sata-install --> /dev/sda1 --> done (tested by me when working on nand-sata-install +10 times)

Thanks for the rapid answer!

I did it exactly like you said, but:
    After moving it to SSD with nand-sata-install script, I couldn't reach the webUI. Ping was possible, but nothing else. Somehow the server didn't come up correctly.
    But when you say it should work, I'll try it again...

Otherwise I already thought about getting a new sdcard, as the one I have is old & crappy.

--> Is it possible to copy the whole OS from an old to a new sdcard, without setting up everything from scratch again?

• Otherwise I already thought about getting a new sdcard, as the one I have is old & crappy.

Really the best idea since an awful lot of problems with SBC are just SD card hassles. It's possible to clone SD cards of course but I would strongly recommend to use suitable tools (eg. in Linux use ddrescue to create an image of the old card and then Etcher to write it to the new card. Only requirement: the new card has to be larger than the old one)

But in case you still have an old OMV installation with a 3.4 kernel simply forget about and start from scratch with latest official OMV image for Bananas (relying on mainline kernel and Armbian as base). The old Banana Pi kernel will prevent you from using OMV 4 later (since OMV 4 needs Debian 9 AKA Stretch and this requires a way more recent kernel to work properly) and more or less all the other concerns apply that are outlined here: https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Migration_from_Bananian/

• But in case you still have an old OMV installation with a 3.4 kernel simply forget about and start from scratch with latest official OMV image

Yes, I want to move from OMV 2 to 3, so I will start from scratch anyway. Then I think I'll stick to getting a new sd-card, from your link I guess you recommend Samsung evo sd-cards. I guess there is no difference if it's a micro-sd with adapter compared to a normal sized sd-card?

• Then I think I'll stick to getting a new sd-card, from your link I guess you recommend Samsung evo sd-cards.

Well, based on price tags and performance EVO/EVO+ are a good choice (the latter slightly faster and often cheaper for reasons unknown to me).

But there's still the issue with fraud/counterfeit cards and it seems some fake cards are that perfect in the meantime that you can't spot them by lool or initial testing. That's why I only buy at large retailers any more with a return/refund policy 'no questions asked'. You can get counterfeit cards everywhere since usually they're inserted into the supply chain pretty early. So you can't avoid buying them anyway and your only hope is the seller being cooperative.

Wrt adapters: there's a little chance they can fail (mechanical problem) but I had this only once so far and deal almost daily with these adapters (burning images in my MacBook's card reader). So yes, I would only buy TF cards these days and use an adapter (the ones contained in the Samsung kits are ok)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!