SSD vs SSHD for boot drive

• I could use some expert advise here. There has been many threads on using the USB Flash drive or SSD for a boot drive. I am currently building a media server and booting from a Sandisk Ultra 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive. I have also installed the flash plugin. Many experts have recommended against using a flash drive for boot owing to frequent failures. So I am asking:

1) I have a spare 64GB SSD which I could use. I could use the SSD and store the data for Plex, VirtualBox images and MySQL in the pool that I have created. Is it advisable? My concern is that storing this data in the pool will keep the disks churning all the time.

2) I have a spare 500GB SSHD 2.5-inch drive. I could partition it and use the extra space for storing databases for Plex, MySQL and VirtualBox images.

Please advise which is a better way. Thank you. :)

• I would use a SSD for the system drive just due to them being more reliable. You will have a much longer/reliable life with the SSD. It is a pain if you have to redo your system drive. If money is not the issue and you have a SSD go for less headaches.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!