Migrating data from old Windows server to new OMV NAS

• Hi,

I've setup my new OMV installation and attempting to move my data from my old Windows server to my OMV NAS. The servers are connected to the same Wifi Bridge. My current transfer speed is slow, 11MB/s. I'm looking at about 10TB's to move. I can't really do much to alleviate the speed issues with the network.

What are my options? The best methods?

• Map shares and XCopy from Windows to OMV? Does this bypass any permissions issues that may arise?
    • FTP from Win to OMV? I've started doing this but I'll get random permissions issues. It's odd, but I figure it's faster than via Windows Explorer.
    • RSync? It really doesn't seem like it's designed for a one time move and the directory/share structure is different on the new machine. I don't want it trying to sync back to the old Win machine.
    • HotSwap? New OMV has hotswap drive bays. Should I remove the HDD's from the old machines, plug them in, and mount them to copy? Will there be any potential issues like NTFS permissions or hoops to jump through? I'm a bit rusty and unclear on all of the mappings of the directories via SSH to make sure I issue the proper folder mappings using CP commands.
    • Are there any other options I'm missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• I recently copied data using xcopy (running 10 instances simultaneously) and seemed to work fine as long as your samba share is working and you can see the shares on your windows machine. I created a xcopy script and let it run overnight. I had a hardwired connection and was able to get around 100MB/s. I am thinking your wifi is not robust enough to handle this.

• Hi,

I've setup my new OMV installation and attempting to move my data from my old Windows server to my OMV NAS. The servers are connected to the same Wifi Bridge. My current transfer speed is slow, 11MB/s. I'm looking at about 10TB's to move. I…

Jumbo Packets?

In my experience on attempting to increase throughput for an off the shelf NAS, I believe you're limited on the speed of the hardware/drive itself. You can increase all sorts of throughput as it relates to network (Jumbo Packets and such) but the drive could be the bottleneck. That's not to say various copy utilities can't or don't make up for latencies elsewhere. xcopy, robocopy, scp, rsync.... The may use some type of compression or utilize other network layers more efficiently.

Or look to see if your issue is router or switch based. I can't recall which is better for throughput, I think it's the router because it acts as a smart switch as well and requires less time to determine routing thereby increasing throughput.

AMD Athlon 5350
    APUASRock AM1H-ITX mobo
    PNY CS1311 SSD 120GB 6GB/s TLC (for boot only)
    8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 x1
    Thermaltake Core V1 case
    External Toshiba 90w PSU brick ac adapter
    OMV version: Release: 2.2.1

• Robocopy replaces XCopy in the newer versions of windows

• Uses Mirroring, XCopy does not
    • Has a /RH option to allow a set time for the copy to run
    • Has a /MON:n option to check differences in files
    • Copies over more file attributes than XCopy

The most important difference is that robocopy will (usually) retry when an error occurs, whilexcopy will not. In most cases, that makes robocopy far more suitable for use in a script.
    If you have XP or Windows Server you can easily get this in the Resource Kits. If you have Vista, it's
    already in your path. That's always nice. It's Robust,
    indeed (hence, Robocopy) but it's legendarily unforgiving. If anything
    is wrong with the command line options you'll just get the help. It's so
    hard to use there's even
    a GUI Frontend you can get. However, when I want to get a directory
    from here to over there, I just do this (no wildcards allowed! Doh!) and
    it just gets there, auto skipping files that are already at the
    destination. It's also wonderful over an unreliable
    network:

robocopy "H:\Source" "z:\Dest" /S /ZWhere /s means subdirectories, and /z means in restartable mode.

Ruden

• hi thank you for your information. But i just want to know how to migrate to export my ad from my window server(2019) to nas. Actually i tried this before in my ubuntu but its doest work and time was waste alot. so decided to use window server. any suggestion for it? im reslly appriciate you. thank you.

please suggest me a way to connecct from my windwo server to nas open media vault 5. and how to link my ad from my window server to nas.

• OMV does not contain an Active Directory replacement.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

hi thank you for your information. But i just want to know how to migrate to export my ad from my window server(2019) to nas. Actually i tried this before in my ubuntu but its doest work and time was waste alot. so decided to use window server. any suggestion for it? im reslly appriciate you. thank you.

please suggest me a way to connecct from my windwo server to nas open media vault 5. and how to link my ad from my window server to nas.

Your question is kind of confusing. Here is how I connect my nas to my 2012r2 active directory. \

That is on OMV6 there is an older version for OMV5.

If you make it idiot proof, somebody will build a better idiot.

• hi thank you for your inforormation. But can i get the steps or configuration steps? it will be easy for me to do the work. Migrate my window server user into nas. Because i was find about in alot places but i cant get the specific steps. really approciate thank you.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!