FreeNas to OMV migration

• Alright, before I begin I'll ask moderators to move my post if it's not in the right section.

I'm moving my hole office to my home and I'm bringing here my FreeNAS file/ftp server... The thing is FreeNAS is awesome reliable and secure (can't put my company data to risk, and that's what I need) but it's minimum requirements are not that minimum, in fact they are huge and it's being hosted in an modest to low spec PC... I'm getting complaints about the "slow transfer or slow ftp" from my employees and I thought about changing the hole thing to OMV. I use already OMV for my Home Server, I'm not new to it and I know it's hardware requirements are lower...

So my questions are:

1. I'm loosing anything in this trade? secure, stability and reliability wise? I gotta feed the hole crew with pro/cons information, of course I have the last word on this because I'm in charge of this area but it's a business decision (All our clients depend on this file/ftp server, our patch and update system is made available through this). I want a ground to sell to my co-workers and employees. Please be impartial...

2. Any tips for this hole trading/transfer/substitution process? Anyone have a guide? I know that FreeNAS uses ZFS but I'm not sure if my Hard Drives (I got two on the server) are in fact with that File-system type...

Thanks in Advance...

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. I used OMV for a school of 200 employees and students. Never had a single problem. I would say OMV is equal to or better than FreeNAS and better performance.

2. Really depends on what filesystem those data drives are. If they are zfs, you should be able to install omv on the box and the zfs plugin. Then mount the drives and go. If they are ufs, you really should convert to a native Linux filesystem. You will probably need other drives to temporarily move the data to.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks Reycoaaron Our Business has 6 employees and about 60 clients... I Think it's a great step then...

Didn't knew OMV had a ZFS Plug-In... Awesome!!!! It's about midnight here... I'll do this overnight... Thanks for the quick answer!

• ... you should be able to install omv on the box and the zfs plugin. Then mount the drives and go...

I've checked they are indeed in ZFS filesystem type....
    Ok just installed the ZFS Plug-in... Now, how do I import my hard drives exactly? There's two options on the Plug-in Import and Add Pool... I could try both but I'm afraid of loosing my data...

• I've tried Import and got this outcome:

1. How do I import this in command line with -f?
    2. If I do it, will I loose any data?

• Zitat

. How do I import this in command line with -f?
    2. If I do it, will I loose any data?

from CLI try:

Code
    zpool import -f server.ftp.1

this wehaviour is described here: [HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

2: No, you do not lose your data.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You should still have a backup of your data :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!