VirtualBox Plugin error 0x80070005 after changing HDD

• Hi,

hopefully this is the right category for this topic.

I had to replace one of my drives with a bigger one. I configured my Virtual Boxes and lots of FTP and SMB shares on this drive.
    After migrating all files with

Code
    cp -a

to the new HDD and adjusting the system shares afterwards, SMB and FTP are working fine.

Just the VirtualBox Plugin ran into an issue:

So, like I read in some other topics here, I uninstalled the plugin, removed the share, rebooted, reinstalled the plugin, recreated the share and copied the VBox data back.
    Afterwards I adjusted the ACL for the files (because the error was still existent):

Code
    root@omv:/media/sonstiges/virtualbox# ls -la
    insgesamt 2076
    drwxrwsr-x+  3 vbox vboxusers    4096 Mär  1 10:06 .
    drwxr-sr-x  17 root users        4096 Mär  1 10:04 ..
    drwxrwsr-x+  4 vbox vboxusers    4096 Mär  1 10:06 MySQL
    -rwxrwxr-x   1 vbox vboxusers    7791 Feb 18 22:02 mysql.vbox
    -rwxrwxr-x   1 vbox vboxusers    7791 Feb 18 22:02 mysql.vbox-prev
    -rwxrwxr-x   1 vbox vboxusers 2097152 Feb 18 22:02 mysql.vdi

But the error still keeps showing up. Also if I remove all VBox data so no VBox is existent.

Has anyone an idea about this?

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The error you are getting is an access denied error. You shouldn't have ACLs on the files. Run setfacl -b on all of the files and folders. The .vbox files should have 600 permissions and all folders should have 700 permissions. Everything should be owned by vbox:vboxusers.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for your answer, my listing above shows, that everything is owned by vbox:vboxusers and that the rights are 775 (I think), so it should work anyway?

After running your command nothing changed:

Code
    root@hpn:/media/sonstiges# setfacl -bR virtualbox
    root@hpn:/media/sonstiges# ls -la virtualbox
    insgesamt 2076
    drwxrwsr-x  3 vbox vboxusers    4096 Mär  1 10:06 .
    drwxr-sr-x 17 root users        4096 Mär  1 10:04 ..
    drwxrwsr-x  4 vbox vboxusers    4096 Mär  1 10:06 MySQL
    -rwxrwxr-x  1 vbox vboxusers    7791 Feb 18 22:02 mysql.vbox
    -rwxrwxr-x  1 vbox vboxusers    7791 Feb 18 22:02 mysql.vbox-prev
    -rwxrwxr-x  1 vbox vboxusers 2097152 Feb 18 22:02 mysql.vdi
    • Offizieller Beitrag

While 700 does not equal 775, I don't think virtualbox cares if it is world-readable (some things do).

What is the output of: ps aux | grep virt

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Sorry for my late response:

Code
    root@hpn:~# ps aux | grep virt
    root      5371  0.0  0.0   9904   892 pts/0    S+   00:14   0:00 grep virt

But maybe I should mention, that I deactived the plugin atm.

Shall I change ACL to 700? I only kept the ones from cp -a and changed root with vbox, because the owner was changed from vbox:vboxusers to root:vboxuser during cp -a

• Offizieller Beitrag

The output of ps doesn't do any good if it isn't running. I was wondering if one of the virtualbox services was running as the wrong user.

700 is a permission not and ACL.

I would purge the virtualbox package and plugin, delete the vbox user, and delete the virtualbox files in /etc/default/. Then I would reinstall the plugin and change the ownership of all of your VM files to the new vbox user that the plugin creates.

• Ok after starting the service it shows:

Code
    root@hpn:/# ps aux | grep virt
    vbox      8646  0.0  0.0 104780  5688 ?        S    00:32   0:00 /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxXPCOMIPCD
    vbox      8651  0.2  0.1 193956  8680 ?        Sl   00:32   0:00 /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSVC --auto-shutdown
    999       8740  0.0  0.0 138568  4244 ?        S    00:32   0:00 php-fpm: pool openmediavault-virtualbox
    999       8741  0.0  0.0 138568  4244 ?        S    00:32   0:00 php-fpm: pool openmediavault-virtualbox
    vbox      8809  0.2  0.0 210532  7004 ?        Sl   00:32   0:00 /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxwebsrv --background -H 127.0.0.1
    root      8963  0.0  0.0   9904   896 pts/0    S+   00:33   0:00 grep virt

now I'll try the other things you wrote.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't see any difference between your ps output and mine. Hopefully, the other things work.

• So I removed the plugin via WebGui (or was there anything else by "purge"?) and rebooted because the user was still in use (even if I deactivated the plugin before uninstalling it).
    Then:

Code
    root@hpn:~# deluser --remove-home vbox
    Suche Dateien zum Sichern/Löschen ...
    »/var/lib/vbox« wurde nicht gesichert/gelöscht, da es mit ^/var/.* übereinstimmt.
    Entferne Benutzer »vbox« ...
    Warnung: Die Gruppe »vboxusers« hat keine Mitglieder mehr.
    Fertig.

And:

Code
    root@hpn:~# delgroup vboxusers
    Entferne Gruppe »vboxusers« ...
    Fertig.

Afterwards:

Code
    root@hpn:~# cd /etc/default
    root@hpn:/etc/default# dir | grep virt
    console-setup  loadcpufreq        openmediavault-virtualbox  tftpd-hpa

And:

Code
    root@hpn:/etc/default# rm openmediavault-virtualbox

Then I reinstalled the plugin and cat /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f1 told me, that vbox was created again.

So I used chown -R vbox:vboxusers /media/sonstiges/virtualbox and chmod -r 700 /media/sonstiges/virtualbox, configured and started the plugin, and received the same error again, when I change to “Virtual Machine” Tab.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Uninstalling from the web interface does remove but doesn't purge the plugin.

apt-get purge virtualbox phpvirtualbox openmediavault-virtualbox
    apt-get autoremove

I would try it. If it doesn't work, I would use this script to upgrade to virtualbox 5.0 (if you didn't already).

• With v5 the error is another one.
    First I was not able to log in to WebGui any more (wrong user or password)
    What I’ve done:
    1) deactivate the plugin
    2) run  apt-get purge virtualbox phpvirtualbox openmediavault-virtualbox 
    3) apt-get autoremove
    4) reboot
    5) delete the user and group:  deluser --remove-home vbox  delgroup vboxusers 
    6) download and run the script for vbox 5 sh <path_to_script>/vb5_install.sh
    7) reboot

During install I received the warning (for guest additions I think?)

Code
    WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
             available for the current kernel (3.2.0-4-amd64) or it failed to
             load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /sbin/vboxconfig

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.

After another reboot I was able to log in again.

Then I chown and chmoded the rights again to 700 for vbox:vboxusers but the error remains:

Code
    Could not connect to host (http://127.0.0.1:18083/)
    Fehler #64:
    exception 'Exception' with message 'Could not connect to host (http://127.0.0.1:18083/)' in /usr/share/phpvirtualbox/endpoints/lib/vboxconnector.php:220
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/virtualbox.inc(176): vboxconnector->connect()
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceVirtualBox->getMachines(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('getMachines', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('VirtualBox', 'getMachines', Array, Array, 1)
    #5 {main}
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Did you recompile the vboxdrv? If the fix modules button is still in the virtualbox plugin, use it. Otherwise, try invoke-rc.d vboxdrv setup

Can't connect is a different issue. Looks like your vboxwebsrv is not running because it can't load the module.

• Ok I tried the "fix module..." button but it failed:

So I assumed I needed backports kernel, installed it from OMV-Extras Plugin and rebooted to set it active.
    Then tried "fix module.." again and it succeeded:

Just to make sure I rebooted again.
    And oh wonder the old error 0x80070005 is back :(

ps aux remains the same

Code
    root@hpn:~# ps aux | grep virt
    999       3156  0.0  0.0 138576  6356 ?        S    09:19   0:00 php-fpm: pool openmediavault-virtualbox
    999       3157  0.0  0.0 138576  6356 ?        S    09:19   0:00 php-fpm: pool openmediavault-virtualbox
    vbox      3408  0.0  0.1 148064 15240 ?        Sl   09:19   0:00 /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxwebsrv --background -H 127.0.0.1
    vbox      3412  0.0  0.1 104832  9472 ?        S    09:19   0:00 /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxXPCOMIPCD
    vbox      3420  0.0  0.1 199688 15296 ?        Sl   09:19   0:00 /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSVC --auto-shutdown
    root      6707  0.0  0.0   9916  1860 pts/0    S+   09:24   0:00 grep virt

BTW: Am I going to have some issues/considerations upgrading OMV if I use another than the official kernel?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You shouldn't need the backports kernel but it does work for me. Did you look at /var/log/vbox-install.log?

Virtualbox has to compile its drivers for most kernels. So, it should work with other kernels but I haven't tried.

I still have no idea why you are getting this error.

• Ok, so sadly it seems that I have to reinstall omv or at least the vm (didn't remember the test on that)
    I had the same issues before with the MySql plugin, so I decided to run it inside a VM, but this now has problems, too. Wonder if I'll get a stable environment someday :-).
    Anyway thanks a lot for your help.

• Hi ryecoaaron,

just to complete this topic, I wanted to try it again with another new share and vm, so I uninstalled vbox again, switched back to the normal kernel and installed vbox 5 again as described above. All went well even the driver package.

But after restarting OMV and loading VirtualBox, it tells me "Some error has occured" and soon afterwards "0x80070005" is back. So I think I have to do a clean install of OMV. Maybe with the release of V3.

Regards.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would love for you to try a clean install (even on a different system or VM) to see if you can get it working with everything else eliminated.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!