Hot spare assigned to 2 arrays?

• As per: http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=55 I can have a hot spare for my RAID1. Nice.

Say I have 2 RAID1's and room for one more drive. I'd like to have a hot spare... for both. Can I do that with only one drive or would I need 2 drives to have a hot spare for each?

It seems highly unlikely that a hot spare would be needed at the same time for both arrays, so this doesn't sound like a completely stupid idea (in my head anyway), but I am doubting it's technically possible.

• You are right, it is not possible with a MDraid. But you could add it manually, so something like a cold standby. That will give you the opportunity to add the drive to the RAID you need instead of predefining it, but also will give you a time malus and no automation for that. (you could write a cron job :) ).

But if you do that, you can also use the available drive capacity in the drive bay to extend your space and have a cold replace drive in your cupboard. That will give you the same level of protection without the waste of disk space.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!