(Hp Proliant Microserver Gen 8) Grub Rescue: "error: attempt to read or write outside of disk hd0"

• So hi guys,

After installing OMV 3.0.2, rebooting, I get put into grub rescue with the error "attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0' ."
    Nothing in the installation seemed wrong.

Here's my boot summary: (I also did the recommended repair via Boot-Repair with no results)
    https://paste.ubuntu.com/15307525/

I am using an Hp Proliant Microserver Gen8, which is put into AHCI mode.

My motherboard is just replaced, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Ramon

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why are you using OMV 3.x? It is not ready yet and not supported.

Openmediavault 3.x - Important Information!

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Well, I thought It might solve the install problems I had with OMV 2.1, which are essentially the same, but with an "out of disk" eror instead.

I've searched all over the internet to find an answer, but everything doesn't work, and I'm really unsure what's causing this error. So I though I might give 3.x a try, because I heard the "could not install grub2 to /dev/sda" install error was fixed, and I suspected that error for causing this other error.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are threads (link, link, link) about getting OMV 2.x to work on a Gen 8. You don't need OMV 3.x.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Those are mostly about using an ssd, but because the necessary adapter cable isn't available here, and shipping it from a webshop would cost a lot, I am using a highspeed usb 3.0 stick.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was just pointing out that there are many posts about Gen8 on the forum. There are more. The system seems to be a pain in the ass to me.

To Linux, a usb stick and an SSD connected via a usb to sata adapter are the same thing. Put the stick in a different system and install OMV 2.x on it on that system. Then plug it in the Gen8.

• I know, but I am getting this error after installing it. Installing OMV onto the stick works, but the newly installed grub gives the error.
    To me there is no reason why installing it from a different computer could help :P

• Offizieller Beitrag

To me there is no reason why installing it from a different computer could help :P

I disagree. OMV installation can go fine and grub can be installed wrong/point to wrong drive/etc. If you install on a different computer, I am pretty sure this will go correctly. Then you just need the G8 to correctly read the usb stick at boot time.

• I was just pointing out that there are many posts about Gen8 on the forum. There are more. The system seems to be a pain in the ass to me.

Why?
    very good built quality, 4 bays, powerful, quiet (for a server) and cheap. The BIOS might confuse - but nothing what isn't manageable.
    I had (have) more problems with usabilty of the software, as I am no linux engineer, just a home user.
    But the support in this forum is great - so thanks a lot guys.

Back to topic: If the installation USB-stick is in the back of the Gen8 Microserver, the internal system USB will be dev/sda/. And no other harddrives should be connected, just the two sticks.This works.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why?
    very good built quality, 4 bays, powerful, quiet (for a server) and cheap. The BIOS might confuse - but nothing what isn't manageable.
    I had (have) more problems with usabilty of the software, as I am no linux engineer, just a home user.

I owned three N40Ls at one time. I know all about the system. Just because it is a pain in the ass doesn't mean it isn't good hardware. Lots of servers have things that are a pain in the ass. Having to put hacked bios on the N40L just to use the fifth and sixth sata port at full speed was a pain in the ass but once it is was fixed, it worked great (until they died anyway).

I guess that usability problem is because you have experienced Linux users creating OMV/plugins. I have no issues with OMV but I work on lots of servers that are much more hassle than OMV has even been.

• I GOT IT BOOTING!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I think something was wrong with the usb's (the one I was installing to) boot sector, which was corrupting every install I did to it.
    Via Windows I was able to completely format the drive, and it worked! I'm now setting up OMV, thanks :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!