S.M.A.R.T. on SAS drives

• Hi all,
    at company we are going to move our smb file server to omv, and want to use a sas hdd for system. It works for the best basically, only the SMART watching is not as we like it to be. In particular omv not seems to be able to read the SMART info from the sas drive by it's own - although SMART is enabled, the button at the very right still keeps grey, and only the very right tab of SMART info tells a bit about the state of the drive.
    Is this a basic thing with sas drives at all, or can we get the drive to "normal" watching by adding a plugin or other piece of software?
    Best regards,
    Johannes

Private NAS: Asus P9D-I + Xeon E3-1220L CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + LSI SAS2108 HBA + 4x8TB BTRFS RAID 10 + OMV 4 booting from single SLC SSD
    Private experimental NAS: Asus P9D-I + i3-4130T CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + 3x10 BTRFS RAID5 + OMV 5 beta booting from single SLC SSD

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is a new feature under development. Needs more feedback, do the the drives info shows the extended information?
    if so post all relevant info here

bugtracker.openmediavault.org

With screenshoot maybe from thestatus icon
    In the bugtracker you'll find a post that I did two weeks ago for Samsung evo 840 you'll get the idea.

• Yes, drive shows extended information. Only.
    I'll post it tomorrow, when I'm at office again.

Thank you,
    Johannes

Private NAS: Asus P9D-I + Xeon E3-1220L CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + LSI SAS2108 HBA + 4x8TB BTRFS RAID 10 + OMV 4 booting from single SLC SSD
    Private experimental NAS: Asus P9D-I + i3-4130T CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + 3x10 BTRFS RAID5 + OMV 5 beta booting from single SLC SSD

• Lasted bit longer ;)
    But it's still the same with SAS drives.
    See jpgs attached.

• Even if omv makes an enabled SMART status for SAS drives possible, by the time I don't think it to be as significant as the evaluation of the attributes of SATA drives.
    Just because SAS drives do not talk about their internals as much as SATA drives.
    And because SAS drives need hours to do their long selftest. As you see from omv-screenshot attached, my Seagates need 460 minutes for a long selftest. And after that time, even do not tell more about their state than usage of start and load cycles and power on time. I don't think, that read errors are actually meaningfull, as long as they get corrected by ECC fully.

So I'm going to shift from SAS drives, even if they are really speedy - after they finished selftest -, back to SATAs for my private omv.

Best regards,
    Johannes

Bilder

• that read errors are actually meaningfull, as long as they get corrected by ECC fully.

So there is some useful information from the printout here. There is on the right side "Total uncorrected errors". That gives indication of faults and will point to LBA's that are faulty.
    Also one more is "Elements in the grown defect list" is important. Should remain zero. This one was raised for my faulty drive.

There are probably specific tools from the disk vendors to find more detailed SMART data for SAS drives. Might need to contact your disk vendor to get it.

• Sorry, sparx, but the "Total uncorrected errors" will typically tell you the number of uncorrected errors only, and not necessarily point to the LBAs that are faulty. Of course, something else but 0 should catch your awareness, but you will not get further information about the failure. Same is for "Elements in the grown defect list" - more than the number of defects cannot be expected. It's basically the same as with SATA drives: They, too, don't tell you the LBAs that they reallocated, just the number of reallocated sectors and those pending for reallocation.

And re specific tools from disk vendors to give more detailed SMART data for SAS drive - forget it. They are either not existing or kept for OEM customers only, who buy 50-100k of drives minimum. IMHO they actually do not exist at all. Why else the community, that is working smartmonitortools, which not only oms is using, should not be able to handle SAS drives better yet?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!