OMV Samba + Windows 10

• I currently try to give my wifes notebook a high WAF degrade, beneath as less as administrational work as possoble for me. All folders are stored on NAS and I use Windows Synchronisation center to build a offline copy on the notebook. All programs are linked to this synchronisation folders. In principle it works fine, but there is often the problem, that Outlook seems to be not able to connect to server and it ends with an error message. Sometimes I also found that I have to type in password in explorer to be able to connect to Nas, but most of the times not. Does anybody know what causes this problem?

• That is not a problem with SAMBA. It is normal. You will normally have to sign in to access your shares after a reboot of your Windows machine. If the machine is just going into a sleep state you may not have to sign in after coming out of sleep.

• Zitat

You will normally have to sign in to access your shares after a reboot of your Windows machine.

It's just the oposite, after re-booting Windows. Access is working without signing in, I believe it's because PW is stored in Windows. The problem is occuring when the machine comes out of sleep

• Coming out of sleep is it probably still cached. My machines never have it stored after reboot.

Take a look at the credential manager in control panel. Do you see any related entries there?

• Can't look, because notebook isn't here at the moment. I am also a bit unsure how it works anyway with Samba shares. When I look into OMV I gave user "Diana" read/write permission for folder "Diana" but it seems I haven't set any passwort. The windows account is also "Diana", does that mean, there is automatically access to the folder? I am a bit confused.

• That's exactly my problem. I am not sure. I think I did, but if I look into OMV user configuration all fields are empty except user name.
    I did look into my laptops credential manager and there is NAS with my user name and passwort mentioned, but in OMV the password field is also empty.

• I strongly believe you are right. But I can not see there is a password. Is this normal? I made a test and created a new user account "Diana" on my own notebook, and I set windows password same as I might have set in OMV. When I logged in and started explorer, I had immediately access to folder "Diana" on NAS, without asking for any credentials.

• No, when you go to edit the user the fields for password are blank. That is normal.

I think if you have same password between Windows and OMV it will do this. I never use same password and I don't have this problem.

• I'm using Windows 10 Pro with Samba too, and it storing my password in computer.
    The only time I change it is if I change my account password in OMV, then it need to be updated.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Sometimes I also found that I have to type in password in explorer to be able to connect to Nas, but most of the times not. Does anybody know what causes this problem?

If the Username AND local/remote password are equal you're automatically logged in. So once you set a password for your wife it will work accordingly to the required WAF.

You will normally have to sign in to access your shares after a reboot of your Windows machine.

See above, if the user accounts and passwords equal you will be logged in, there is no caching in this scenario.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• You know that samba and ssh passwords don't have to be synched, do you?

This would also reflect the case where you are in a domain/(ldap). You'd simply share the password amongst multiple system, thus be authenticated automatically.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!