SnapRAID with different Drivesizes

• Hello,i am thinking about setting my NAS up with SnapRAID. My harddrives have all diefferent sizes (5TB, 3TB, 2TB, 1,5TB, 1TB). As the documentation says, it is possible to set it up with these drives. What i am wondering is how this works. On the largest drive will be the parity data, so far so easy. But when i use the rest of free data on the parity drive, will this data also be recoverable when the parity drive fails? Or will there be only parity data on the parity drive?

Thanks for explanation
    sami

PS.: Sorry for reposting this but my first post got closed because I am on OMV 3.0 but my question has nothing to do with my OMV installation but is just a general question about SnapRAID. Or is it that because I am on beta software there is no help for my on anything anyway?

• Your Parity Drive has to be as large or larger as the largest Data Drive (Like You already mentioned).
    Since you are using 1 Paritiy Drive you can lose one Data Drive for it (Replace Data Drive with failure for a new one and recover Data from the parity drive).
    It's even easyier if your parity drive fails. Just replace it for a new one and sync your Snapraid again.

If you need security for two or more diskfailures at the same time you have to use that amount of parity drives.

Maybe this can help you a bit: https://sourceforge.net/p/snap…/1677233/thread/5a4ce41c/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!