Kodi needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering?

• After finally getting make to complete successfully, I'm attempting to invoke kodi and get the following error:

root@OpenMediaVault:/etc/init.d# kodi
    Error: unable to open display
    Kodi needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
    Install an appropriate graphics driver.

Please consult Kodi Wiki for supported hardware
    http://kodi.wiki/view/Supported_hardware

1. Is kodi any better than plex media server I already have running and am used to using? Is it a replacement or does it compliment plex when installed ?
    2. It's is my understanding my AMD APU has embedded Radeon 3 graphics. AMD doesn't seem to be explicit about any linux driver. Is there a generic driver?
    3. Is there some type of X server or Xwindows expected to be running to get this to work since OMV doesn't have a desktop installed per se?

After make some headway on this, I may resort to just removing it.

Thanks.

AMD Athlon 5350
    APUASRock AM1H-ITX mobo
    PNY CS1311 SSD 120GB 6GB/s TLC (for boot only)
    8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 x1
    Thermaltake Core V1 case
    External Toshiba 90w PSU brick ac adapter
    OMV version: Release: 2.2.1

• 1. Plex is actually an offshoot of Kodi (or XBMC of past) and now has taken a different direction. I found Plex to be demanding in terms of hardware and has a tendency to transcode media unless it is in a specific format. Plex has a server component and can work on many devices. Kodi on the other hand has no server component and therefore requires a dedicated client. I have been running Kodi on mini PCs and a Raspberry Pi2. It just works.
    2. I would not try to run Kodi on a NAS directly. You could setup a virtual machine e.g. Windows 7 which can utilize some of the fancy features required to exploit full capability of Kodi.
    3. I use Plex on things like Apple TV or Roku where it seems to work but you need to pay attention to what video you play and if they require transcoding. Based on your CPU config, I am thinking you would be able to transcode one 1080p stream.

• 1. Plex is actually an offshoot of Kodi (or XBMC of past) and now has taken a different direction. I found Plex to be demanding in terms of hardware and has a tendency to transcode media unless it is in a specific format. Plex has a server component and can work on many devices. Kodi on the other hand has no server component and therefore requires a dedicated client. I have been running Kodi on mini PCs and a Raspberry Pi2. It just works.
    2. I would not try to run Kodi on a NAS directly. You could setup a virtual machine e.g. Windows 7 which can utilize some of the fancy features required to exploit full capability of Kodi.
    3. I use Plex on things like Apple TV or Roku where it seems to work but you need to pay attention to what video you play and if they require transcoding. Based on your CPU config, I am thinking you would be able to transcode one 1080p stream.

Bunts, is there a comparable app on roku for Kodi? I haven't checked.
    Plex appears to be working on my NAS.
    Does Kodi have to be virtualized or can I install on the Windows 7 machine I have ? Maybe the PleXMBC plugin is the way to go.
    Or is what I'm hearing is don't run on the NAS as a server and pretty much use as a standalone storage/nas device? I'm trying to see if I can use it for other things or to feed media from the storage. It's going to be sitting idle for about 90% of time except for backups.

Your input and ideas are welcome.
    Thanks.

AMD Athlon 5350
    APUASRock AM1H-ITX mobo
    Thermaltake Core V1 case

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Frogdaddy ()

• I am not sure why you want to use Kodi if Plex works for you. There is no Kodi app for Roku. You have to remember that Kodi is a client and therefore you would need to connect your server to TV in order to get it to work. That's the reason I would avoid putting Kodi on a server virtual or otherwise. Most people just use a server for storage and nothing else and that's why it doesn't have to be power hungry or very powerful. PlexXBMC is a Kodi plugin for Plex. So you still need a client for Kodi. A good Kodi client would be a Chromebox, Intel NUC or a Raspberry Pi with OpenElec.

• Sounds good. Thank you.

AMD Athlon 5350
    APUASRock AM1H-ITX mobo
    Thermaltake Core V1 case

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!