Installed OMV, Snapraidand UnionFS. How do I get my files in their pooled folders? Please

• After three tries I think I have managed to install and get OMV up and running.
    I know I am still missing some steps but there is a slight problem.
    My setup is thas follows:
    4 3TB hdd formatted as ext4 and joined together as a unionfilesystem pool. Then in the pool, I have folders cretaed for Music, Videos, Pictures, Documents etc.
    Then I have 2 usb 2TB hdd that contain all my important folders but the problem is that some of the folders in the structure are empty but they are not the folders at the top level. I don't really care about these empty folders but I have not been able to copy these important folders to the central pool using rsync because it always fails. (I assume it is the empty folders it was meeting deep in the layers)
    I have tried to not include these two usb hdd as pool but I could not get any system I have in OMV to transfer the files. The only option I have is to attach the usb hdd to my server and then copy from my server using ftp to the pool.
    It takes a long time and I did not think of it this time I am ashamed to say.
    So in frustration, I attached the usb hdd to the pool and in snapraid. Then I ran sync.
    So that I don't make a mess again and have to reinstall, I am asking a very simple question. Two or three or as many as needed actually
    No 1:
    First is that the pool configuration has disappeared from my unionfilesystem page on OMV. is that normal?
    (see attachment)
    No 2:
    Secondly, In order for the system to recognise the photos, music etc, (seeing as they are now part of the pool) what should I do next?
    If I run the snapraid pool command, will it automatically populate the pool folders (I can hear a lot of you falling of your chairs laughing) but I really do not want to mess this installation up as I think I have done it nearly right so far.
    That is really my priority problem now. Should I shut the system down, eject the usb hdd, attach it to my spare laptop and copy to the pool/Multimedia folders? or should I install the LVM/LDAP plugins and hope they provide me with a solution?
    No 3:
    My third problem is just an observation that is making the system not work. I don't see the system users anywhere and as a result, I can't share the shared folders with them. As a consequence, although in my windows server I see under the network folder the OMV folder and under it the music, pictures and etc folders, I can't copy into them even though I enabled guest and anybody can read and write permissions. What am I doing wrong please?
    It is really frustrating but I think that the solution is probably a missed step but I have enabled smb/cifs so technically anybody should be able to populate these pooled folders but nobody can.
    So before I do install no 4, please help.
    thank you for your time.

I am getting a fourth problem. I cannot enable any new plugin if I allocate their data directory to the pool. I get a no permission to write error. I have checked and reset folder permissions and still the problem recur. I do not think it is sensible to allocate data directories to individual hdd when they are part of the pool but something is going on and I cant seem to fathom it out.
    I will really appreciate some assistance please. many thanks. sean

I rebooted the installation and managed to update the plugins. It seems that the system somehow gets "stuck" and rejects updates to the pooled folders so the only way out is to reboot. a very windows solution no?
    i know I am asking basic questions but is that not how people learn? So please help. I still have another JBod of 4hdds that i want to pool and I am not sure you can or should create 2 pools. I will really appreciate some assistance especially as i have taken the step of removing the usb hdd and am now copying the files via ftp (and it is gumming up my server - slowing it down so badly I can barely use it to update this message - now I remember why i was reluctant to adopt this approach. ftp seems to tie up everything memory and hardware - sheesh)

if someone can just hep with q 1 - where did my pool configuration go and how can i get it back - pretty please!!! (I am getting desperate - a fourth installation will glue up another week and I still have docs to prepare for the ex)
    So anybody? help?

• OK Just an update. I have resolved almost all the issues apart from the vanishing unionfs configuration. I read somewhere that I needed to amend the fstab but the instructions made my eyes glaze.
    Is there a simple way of making it reappear so I can replace aufs with mergerfs as a trial first.
    To copy files I am using WinScp and putty to transfer the existing files to the NAS and it is faster than ftp. Less resource hungry too
    However if anybody can help me with cobbling some robust cp commands such that I can cp from the usb hdd//folder/folders/folders/ to the pool/folder/folders/folders/ based on extensions for instance

Code
    cp from usb hdd/folder/folder x/folder y/*.jpg /media/pool/photos/folder x/folder y/*.jpg

Is that possible because then I can set up various cp commands that recursively go through directories and copy to the appropriate pool folders.
    any takers?

I have donated. have you?
    OMV 2.2 running on HP Gen 8 G1610T server, 16GB RAM + Xeon E3-1220

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is a major problem if the config does not stay. You should not have to edit fstab. What kind of media is OMV installed on?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I installed omv on its own pc a dell usff 760 running just that. it has one hdd 80GB i think and then it has as the pool a horntekk 4 bay jbod connected via usb 2 to the pc itself.
    the usb hdd is connected via a usb hub but i am currently copying from it to the nas.
    for the first time it is working. I am incrementally adding plugins and they work so i am loath to reinstall.
    is there any more info i an provide?
    Oh - the horntekk jbod is the pool. it has 4 x 3tb hdd which have been formatted as ext4 and joined together as the pool using the unionfs plugin.
    all the plugin data are located on a folder in this pool called pluginpool.(maybe not a good idea?)
    i have attached a screenshot.

• Help!!!
    I know the problem may be simple but I have worked very hard to understand and manage omv. It will be very confidence shattering if I lose everything I have done so far because of something I didn't understand or did wrong. I have always marvelled how people gave their time and patience to assist others.
    I really will appreciate someone pointing me at a resolution. This issue has been here for a couple of days now.
    Any assistance will be appreciated
    Thanks

Note To Moderators: If this post is in the wrong place, do please move it so maybe it can get some assistance. Thx

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von seanbw ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why do you have so many filesystems not mounted? When you click mount, you have to apply the settings.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Since the pool configuration vanished, the pool and resulting folders regularly vanish and the only way round it is to reboot. Increasingly, when I reboot, the disks do not mount and I have to manually mount them. I wasw going to install the usbmount software mentioned in a post somewhere but there were no instructions on how to install and where and I don't want to break the system anymore than it is already broken.

• I get the problem because since the pool vanished, bits of the pool itself have started vanishing and the only way round it is to reboot. When I reboot, the disks both ext4 and ntfs are unmounted and I have to manually mount them. Even then, the pool so far as this last incident has not appeared so that I can mount it so as far as this installation is concerned, I cant do anything until I solve this issue because all the plugins have their data and configuration in the pool.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The problem seems to be the usb drives and the fact that you are messing with the command line too much. You should never mount from the command line or install a usbmount package. If it doesn't mount at boot, there is something wrong with the setup.

I would reinstall OMV, install the backports kernel (button in omv-extras), and try keeping the drives mounted before install any plugins including pooling/snapraid/etc.

• No I am not a CLI buff. I started looking for usbmount after the pool disappeared and the hdds will unmount. Not before.
    I stated noticing that the pool configuration disappeared and reappeared and I thought it was just a graphic thing. Then it just disappeared and I came here immediately.
    No worries. I have set the system up well now and there is no point in reinstalling if I can't identify why this happened, there is nothing to say it won't happen again which makes re-installation a near fruitless exercise. What stopping this happening again? I don't know what caused it. No one seems to know and even with Windows, as glib as it may sounds, re-installation is always the last step. Not the first.
    I though Linux was more investigative than that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Linux is typically easy to fix for advanced users. Much easier than Windows. I have never seen this issue and can't recreate it. You say you have set it up well but yet you have major issues. Unfortunately my time is very limited and trying to find the cause of a very rare situation is not something I want to spend my time on. Typically a new install fixes problems that people new to OMV have.

If you don't want to reinstall, I gave other suggestions like installing the backports kernel. Also check your bios for boot delays to give the USB drives time to spin up. They may not be ready when the OS boots so it doesn't properly detect them. Not much Linux can do about USB drive spin up time. Personally, I wouldn't use a USB drive for primary drives. They are fine for backup or file transfer.

• Thanks. I guessed as much. I think the issues I have encountered have raised in my mind more Q than answers. I will reinstall but I have one important issue to resolve before then especially as I can't access the NAS anymore. Without the pool, pretty much all the functions are dead.
    thanks for your time. I will leave the thread as is. Cheers.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!