OMV Boots off SSD but not SSD in USB enclousure

• Hi Everyone,

I just installed OMV onto a SSD using the SATA ports on my motherboard, since the installer wouldn't let me install GRUB onto the SSD when it was in the enclosure. Anyway after it was installed i moved it to the enclosure, installed a few plugins and configured OMV a bit. After all of that i wanted to back up the system drive, which i did using this post. Instead of it booting back into OMV it booted into GNU GRUB, which i'm not sure how to get out of. When i moved the SSD back to a SATA port OMV booted up fine. So i'm not too sure whats going on.

Also as a last resort option, would it be a good idea to just install OMV onto a USB and then create a clone of it with clonezilla and restore it if necessary if the external USB SSD strategy doesn't work out?

Thanks guys.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sounds like grub was installed on one of your other drives and it is reading that first. Try changing the bios to boot from the usb drive first. It is possible that the usb drive is not ready at boot time and goes to the other drives as well.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the suggestion.

I double checked the boot device and unplugged all of the other SATA ports so that the only thing plugged in was the USB SSD and it still goes to the same screen. I'm not sure about the usb drive not being ready at boot since it was booting fine from it previously.

Any other suggestions?

Also what are your thoughts on installing OMV to a usb and having a back up of it? I understand its not ideal due to read/write volumes, but if the ssd route doesn't work then o'm not too sure what else do.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions. OMV on a usb stick is fine as long as you use a new stick and install the flashmemory plugin right away. Having a backup is essential unless you don't mind reinstalling.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have to boot systemrescuecd, pull the usb drive and use virtualbox to boot systemrescuecd using their iso. Connect the usb drive to the virtualbox guest and perform a grub reinstall.

Look here https://www.system-rescue-cd.o…-Repairing-a-damaged-Grub

solution number 2 is what I usually do to do it.

Basically you mount the rootfs of the usb drive to a point, chroot into it and install and update grub. Is important to have the mounts binds (sys,proc and dev) inside the chroot path

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!