Advice on setting up mailserver on omv

• I am currently configuring my nas using omv and so far so good.
    i have a bunch of emails from Hotmail and Gmail and mail which i need to centralise on omv.
    i have installed the plugin roundcube, nginx and the imap plugin.
    after this i searched on this forum and someone mentioned iredmail , zimbra but how do you install this?
    Is there anyone that can give a quick and dirty overview on how I can achieve this?
    reason is these are very old emails that is had archived into pst files but i need access to them now bcos of a small matter of divorce and need to go back all these years.
    any help will really be appreciated as i dont want to break my omv now it is working in a fashion.
    so please help!
    I am not looking to reinvent the wheel i.e. use it to send out mail just that from now on, back up all my mails to it b copying it.
    eventually i will setup a proper domain name for it. now i just have a a dynamic noip address for it that works.
    HELP!

I have donated. have you?
    OMV 2.2 running on HP Gen 8 G1610T server, 16GB RAM + Xeon E3-1220

• Hi,

if you just want to archive your mails on the OMV-box and access them via imap I can help you.
    I have installed dovecot for that purpose.
    For sending and receiving mails I use a provider.
    When I want to archive them I "drag and drop" them from provider mail-account to dovecot mail-account within thunderbird.
    Would that fulfill your needs?

• yes please.
    is it gui and cli?
    if so, assume I am slow when we get to the cli part.
    thanks for your assistance. much grateful

• Sorry, only cli.
    You are familar with putty and winscp?

The concept is to save your mails and atts. in a .maildir of the home-dir of the omv-user.
    eg: /homes/seanbw/.maildir
    These mails will be accessed via the dovecot-imap process to your email-client.

Therefore you will have to install dovecot via cli and change some config files.
    Cause it's some days ago when I installed it, i'll have to do it out-of-memory.
    OK?

• yes. I am usng both.
    ok. I am ready
    regarding this:/ /homes/seanbw/.maildir all my directories are off the main pool so the above will be uuid/pool/seanbw/.maildir
    will that be ok?

• done and al ok.
    i am loking at the config xml files. took a copy.
    which config files should i pay attention to?
    oh you'll look at the config files .. cool
    (thought that was a tas for me..shiver);)

• Great.

Here are the relevant config files:
    /etc/dovecot/conf.d

Open "10-mail.conf"
    Change to
    mail_location = maildir:/media/35598867-eddc-40a0-a958-8297c7680ae8/homes/%u/.Maildir
    where 35598... must be the id ouf YOUR harddisk.

Open "10-auth.conf"
    Change to
    auth_username_format = %n

I am not quite sure, whether that was all.
    One thing: I had problems with capital letters in the username, I changed them to small letters.
    Aaa...and there was something to force imap and imaps.
    I' ll keep up investigating.

• just an upadate. mail location syntax has changed to : mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
    so if i keep the syntax - how wil i change the statement? to math this one I was going to write:

mail_location = maildir:/media/6af0f475-08a4-49b3-9b80-95845dc108ac/homes/%u/.Maildir

• Yes, you have to fence out (or delete) the existing line:
    #mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
    and insert your mail-location:
    mail_location = maildir:/media/6af0f475-08a4-49b3-9b80-95845dc108ac/homes/%u/.Maildir

If your done, restart dovecot:
    root@vb-omv:~# /etc/init.d/dovecot restart

and have a look, whether, your mail-dir is correct:
    root@vb-omv:~# doveconf -n

should give something like this:

# 2.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
    # OS: Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64 x86_64 Debian 7.9 ext4
    mail_location = maildir://media/db3c7447-4aa0-445c-9d55-4536579cb8c9/homes/%u/.Maildir

• Now check, whether your mailserver works.
    Go to thunderbird, create a new mail account with your data:
    Credentials: your omv user name + password
    Server: your omv IP-address
    Protocol: imap
    and give it a shot.
    But perhaps I forgot something ?(
    We will see...

• So far so good.
    Windows10 default emal accepted my login.
    I am assuming that smtp.192.168.0.39 is what I should be using.
    I am assuming I can google for Dovecut to find out more about how to run it?
    thanks for everything. I am really grateful.
    I doff my hat to you (metaphorically since I don't have a hat on)
    Thanks again. ;)

• Fine, that it works.
    Now, you're an expert and will be able to switch to IMAPs (secured transmission).
    Just in case you transmit your mails via Internet.

:thumbup:

Just wanted to say, that for me the benefit of dovecot is, that it stores the mails in the directory structure, without database etc. So you can backup your mails easily.

• OK, this prob not what u want to hear but I say don't bother. You can no longer easily have your own server. Google and other email service providers will block your emails by default because your email server address is not on a whitelist with the email mafia. Basically you have to register your email server and keep monitoring that registration....a lot of work... consider if this is worth it for u.

• You are right but I was not trying to send mail out. I had some pst files that I could not read and I needed the emails bcos of an ongoing divorce with an ex who was trying to make my life as difficult as possible. With the mail server I thought I could read the pst files. In the end, the NAS failed and I have to reinstall so pretty much everything I did here I have to redo.
    The point is though with copy going out of the cloud business, I am reticent to leave all my data in the hands of people I don't know. I trust in my abilities and I wanted the mail server to become the default backup for all my emails and it seemed pointless to have a NAS for just data, music , videos and leave your emails in the cloud.
    When the next fad comes out, what happens?
    I will mark the thread closed. Thanks everybody who contributed.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!