Upgrading Mainboard, can I make a new installation?

• Hello folks,

I'm trying to upgrade my Mainboard to a better one, but I'm stuck in one problem, can I install OMV and then just add my hardisks without problem? I don't want to lose the information in my hdd's but I think for better performance I have to install OMV again. Is a safe procedure? Should I have to be worry about something?

Thanks in advance.

ML

• can I install OMV and then just add my hardisks without problem?

Yes.

Is a safe procedure? Should I have to be worry about something?

Just attach your OS Disk while installing. Afterwards attach your attach your data disks. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Well funny thing, my "new" mainboard doesn´t have a video output.. no VGA, or DVI..etc...

I read a post with the same problem, and a solution was:

Zitat

No need to reinstall. rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot. If that doesn't fix it, run omv-firstaid

What could happend if I turn my pc on? Can I see what happend via ssh? The only way to have a video output is buying a video card and today is not the kind of day to do that... :|

• Do you have a serial port? That's how I deal with not having a keyboard and monitor attached before the network and sshd start.

rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and rebooting is a solution for moving an old OMV install to a new machine that has a different network card. It does nothing for video.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• The only way to have a video output is buying a video card and today is not the kind of day to do that...

It may be that your mainboard is unable to boot without with a GPU inserted...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Well at the beginning was actually everything working fine, just a couple of days ago my NAS start to running very unstable. Even if I'm not using it, start the CPU-Fan to run very high. It was understandable when I was watching some HD 1080 video, but even in idle modus? It was if something is running in background, but nothing it is...

There's something that went wrong? Should install OMV again? the last time I just made an first-aid setup... Even worse is, that my old setup was better than this one, quite as no one...

• Rather than reinstalling right away, I would actually investigate why is the CPU Cooler so active? Is the temp of the CPU gooing up, even without load? Is there maybe load on the system you don't know about?

Greetings
    David

• But what could be? I didn't install nothing else, just change Mainboard, Prozessor and RAM. And thonk with more power(cpu) everything should be better..

How can I follow the CPU temperature? The dashboard doesn't show those settings..

• Via commandline.

Install lm-sensors via apt-get install lm-sensors

Then you can pull up the cpu temp via sensors

This will show you your current CPU temperature.

Also, you might want to install htop and run the equivalent command to look for CPU load.

Greetings
    David

• ok, I made what you recommend me, for the test I watched a video in 1080.

from sensors:

and from cpuload:

The results are telling me, that plex is using more of 100% of cpu?

• Can you post comparision of stats of idle and another time 5 minutes after a fresh boot?

Greetings
    David

• thanks for your help, I will do it tonight, i tried yesterday but for some limits(text) reasons i couldn't uploaded.

Edit:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    It could be that the problem of overloading from plex is because I'm using it from a PS3 console too? If I don't remember wrong, when I use plex from my SmartTV, my Nas doesn't start to sound like a jet engine!??

Anyways, the 194% is not really normal. I would take a look tonight..

• Ok so I made 3 measures, one right after started, one after 5min, and another after watching a video from Plex(10min 720, 5.1, subs), but this time from my PC.

• Yeah, no transcoding running there.

I guess your CPU is just a bit underpowered for the transcoding, so when your other device it will spike again.

Greetings
    David

• I guess your CPU is just a bit underpowered for the transcoding...
    Greetings
    David

What do you mean with underpowered?

Yesterday I made some test, watching some videos, and again CPU between 32-36°C with very low cpu usage, but the Colling fan was a jet engine!! I uploaded some screenshots.

I dont know what else to do, so maybe at the end I have to install OMV again...

• Underpowered? I'd say your CPU simply can't pull off much transcoding. It's just not good enough.

To your FAN issue, rather check your bios/uefi for your fan curve.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!