need help setting up IP over cli

• Hi All,

Im in a situration where i can access my OMW server only from IPMI/BMC. So I have to set ip in CLI.

I have 4 ethernet ports in the server where eth3 is the one that is cabled. The rest are without.

currently my interface file looks like this, and is not working:

What am i doing wrong? its suppose to be simpel :)

About me:

8 years experince as a IT consultant both filling the role as gerneral IT guy for small business to the role as expert within network, IT security, Storage and Virtualization
    Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT
    Webpage: http://www.dingit.dk

• Hi Subzero79,

Im not sure how you want me to set it.

So i tried just typing

Code
    ipconfig eth3 192.168.1.24

eth3 is the only interface cabled.

the /etc/network/interface didn't change from this but i tried to reboot and no luck
    I have commented out all the other interfaces so only eth3 is loaded.
    if i set up eth3 like this:

Code
    #eth3 network interface
    auto eth3
    allow-hotplug eth3
    iface eth3 inet dhcp

it doesn't pull a IP

If i do this

Code
    #eth3 network interface
    auto eth3
    allow-hotplug eth3
    iface eth3 inet static
    address 192.168.1.25
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.8
    dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8

it still doesn't work... I have been able to catch this mashine on both .25 and .24... and i doing something wrong in the config?

happy easter

About me:

8 years experince as a IT consultant both filling the role as gerneral IT guy for small business to the role as expert within network, IT security, Storage and Virtualization
    Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is not ipconfig is ifconfig.
    On whatever interface is plugged to the switch, just assign an available ip
    address with "ifconfig eth3 ipaddress", after that try and ping the gateway or another lan client, you should get a response. If response is positive then access the omv Web panel from that ip address and start configuring the network using the webui
    Dont keep writing to the interfaces file, that one is ruled by omv and any changes will not persist at any network configurationI in the Web interface

• Hi Subzero79,

first, thanks for taking the time to help me :)

I actually did it right.. i just wrote with windows fingers when i posted.. sorry.. and it didn't work..

now i did it again

Code
    ifconfig eth3 192.168.1.24

it accepted the command and i rebooted. When it came back up in the boot up sequence i see this:

Code
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth3 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth3 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth3 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 20
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth3 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 19
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth3 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 1

which made me think it was trying to find IP over DHCP... something is really wrong here i think.

I have had success with both static and dhcp assigned ip on this OMW server and i left it with a static. Suddenly it stopped working and this let me to here..

So even though i run your command it still seems to try DHCP and even though it seems to try DHCP it doesn't pull and IP. This has worked and i even got it to work at sometime today. But now it doesn't and i think you are right that its because i have tried to do this by editing the interface file.

bad me :) and duly noted for next OMW server :)

but now i have a serious problem

About me:

Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• I tried using omv-first and reset the network settings.. said yes to ipv4 and no to ipv6.

after that i rebooted and the server tried to find a DHCP in boot where it ends up saying

Code
    no DHCPOFFERS received
    no working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

I know i have pulled and IP before so i don't think its the dhcp thats the issue..

hope this can help to cast a light on the issue?

About me:

Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• Offizieller Beitrag

Who said to reboot!!!? The changes with ifconfig are just temporarily, they will flush away the moment you reboot.

Again access through the impi console
    Do you know which iface is plugged (ethX)?
    Assign ip address with the command
    ifconfig eth3 192.168.1.24

Now start doing network test ping gw, lan client.
    Success? Again please don't reboot. Open your browser in the 192.168.1.24
    address. Report back

If that doesn't work I suspect you have problems in your network organizing your switch and router.

You can test dhcp manually by executing dhclient eth3

• oh! im learning so much atm! :)

so i did the ifconfig eth3 192.168.1.24

but i couldn't ping anything.. and the webinterface didn't respond..

I have also suspected the network but this is a network that i don't control. And since it has been working before i suspected that it was more likely a omv problem rather than a network problem..

any other suggestion?

About me:

Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• Are you really sure that eth3 is the device where network is plugged in?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• guys.. i owe so much cake you wouldn't belive..

I was DEAD sure it was ETH3.. i was even sure that i have seen eth3 pull a ip at some point. maybe i changed the cabling and forgot but most likely im just a moron..

davidh2k made recheck to be sure... and it was eth1 ..

so sorry for taking your time with this! the fault lies with me.. thanks for the effort!

happy easter

About me:

Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• You're welcome. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!