Newbie: BTRFS and Timemachine support

• Hello,

after replacing my hardware I decided to change from an "handmade" NAS to an NAS distribution.
    I'm using virtualization via XEN. I have a lot of knowledge with Linux (specially Debian etc.).
    So I decided not to start with an BSD based NAS like FreeNAS.
    I also decided not to start with Rockstor (Because it's based on CentOS and it has some issues with virtualization).

Installation of OMV 2.1 and also 3beta works well.

But I miss some things:
    1.) Support for BTRFS (or ZFS). I found some reports that it should work, but I cannot create an BTRFS storage. Just the "normal" things like ext4.
    2.) Support for Time Machine. Is there a special function I didn't found or must I install the Netatalk plugin (Which was not possible in the beta)?

Is it possible to fix that issues or must I change to an different NAS software?

Thanks!

OMV 3.x have brfs support for a unformating HDD. OMV 2.x support a brfs formated HDD but it havent a Option in the GUI todo it.
    Zfs is avalible too. But you must install the omv-extras and you can install it on a plugin

I dont know.

omv 6.x | 64 bit | omvextrasorg 6.x |
    used plugins: omv-extras | portainer | rsnapshot | antivirus
    used container: portainer/portainer | nextcloud/all-in-one | linuxserver/swag | paperless-ngx | jellyfin/jellyfin | lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver | adguard/adguardhome |

• So maybe I'm doing something wrong.
    I have two unformatted "drives". Thats 2 virtual disks (Because OMV is running as a DomU).
    When I'm going to "File Systems" I can choose ext3, ext4, XFS and JFS.

• When I'm going to "File Systems" I can choose ext3, ext4, XFS and JFS.

On 2.x you have to either format the disk with the debian board tools via CLI if you want to use BTRFS, then you can mount it in the GUI. On 3.x there will be GUI Support for creating filesystems (already in the beta for single drives) and all the other stuff is also planned to be implemented.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Yes, might be.
    But it's not working with my 3.0.2beta.
    I'm not able to choose btrfs and don't understand why...

it is in 3.0.13
    go to update the omv version

omv 6.x | 64 bit | omvextrasorg 6.x |
    used plugins: omv-extras | portainer | rsnapshot | antivirus
    used container: portainer/portainer | nextcloud/all-in-one | linuxserver/swag | paperless-ngx | jellyfin/jellyfin | lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver | adguard/adguardhome |

• Tried it.
    But no update via the GUI available.
    So I did an "apt-get update / dist-upgrade" and now I can choose btrfs.

But it's not possible to choose any quotas, I think it's not implemented for btrfs so far?

• Probably not yet.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!