NAS and backup/application server

• Hi,

NAS newbie here...
    I live in a two-family house and the idea would be to build a NAS running OMV to be used by both families. Furthermore I would build a second server to be used as a backup server for the OMV server. That second server would also be used as an application server running Zoneminder, Emby, Logitech Media Server and probably some other stuff in the future. This second server would run Fedora as I more familiar with that than Debian.
    Each family has its own 19" rack in different rooms of the house.

Based on a couple of articles on http://technikaffe.de I came to the following setup:

OMV server:
    Motherboard: ASRock C236 WSI
    CPU: Intel Pentium G4400
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro
    Memory: Kingston KVR21E15D8/8 ECC
    Power supply: Be Quiet BN140 System Power
    Case: Intertech 2U rackmount IPC-2U-2098SL

Backup/Application server:
    Same configuration but instead of 8GB, 32GB non-ECC.

I am aware that OMV does not require ECC memory in itself, but I like the additional safety.
    Storage for both machines would be WD Red disks, no RAID but individual disks for Music, Video, Photos, Documents.
    Backup would be taken care of by rsnapshot. Occasionally I would backup the backups to external USB disks.

All advice/remarks welcome!

• it look be nice :thumbup:
    no advice.

omv 6.x | 64 bit | omvextrasorg 6.x |
    used plugins: omv-extras | portainer | rsnapshot | antivirus
    used container: portainer/portainer | nextcloud/all-in-one | linuxserver/swag | paperless-ngx | jellyfin/jellyfin | lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver | adguard/adguardhome |

• Seems like a nice setup. As you stated, ECC memory is more a "nice to have" than a necessary thing. In the other hand, unless you are going to do some sort of virtualization in your machines 32 Gb is an overkill. OMV is actually really good with the RAM, and I would dare to say that a good chunk of we users are safe with 2 Gb of ram (I never use more than 30% of that!). If you want to be extra safe, go for 4 (8 Gb for really REALLY safe). I am unfamiliar with Zoneminder, but I don't think that it requires such amounts of RAM. However, if money is not a limitation for your setup, go for the 32 gigs!!! :D

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

• Seems like a nice setup. As you stated, ECC memory is more a "nice to have" than a necessary thing. In the other hand, unless you are going to do some sort of virtualization in your machines 32 Gb is an overkill. OMV is actually really good with the RAM,…

The 32Gb server would not be running OMV. The OMV machine would have 8 Gb.
    And no, my budget is not unlimited

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!