OpenVPN on omv Set up

• Hi,

I am looking for guides to setup a successful vpn connection using the omv webui openvpn plugin, install seemed to have been successful but beyond that. I have no idea what to do next. I forwarded port 1194 to my router. The dh 2048 key has been generated according to the logs. OMV openvpn pluggin successfuly insalled and I activated it it. But I don't really know how to use it on other clients

• Hello,

I followed some guides and got my vpn working but I'm unable to ping the omv server when connected. I can ping my router and access the webgui, I can access OMV webgui server but I can't ping it. Can someone please help me? Also, I am not able to access my shared drives on the vpn. I can access google just fine. If I go on google and search what's my IP, i get my home's public IP. I tested this using my android phone's network tethered to my laptop.

• Ok,

I found what my problem was. My firewall ufw, was blocking my pings and everything else I wanted to do. I reconfigured it so now my vpn is running awesome :thumbup: .

good that you find it.
    OpenVPN works really well.
    only issue for me is that UDP is blocked from my Mobile Phone provider, so I changed on TCP 443. Working good

• Haha, found the same problem too. My dad is the main person benefiting from all this because he chose not to have a phone plan. He basically only have a wifi tablet but is still able to text, make voip phone calls because in the city we live in, there are lots of free wifi locations. We both take the bus and there's free wifi on the bus but UDP ports are closed. Basically, vpn works everywhere except the bus wifi. I'm trying to figure out a way to make both UDP and TCP work on the same profile so we can access our home network on the bus.

• You can use the OpenVPN AS plugin and run the OpenVPN Access Server in multi daemon mode. Then you can use a TCP or a UDP port for access. The port numbers are assignable too.

• @tekkb@siulman So I was able to get both TCP and UDP using this Script found here: https://github.com/zabullet/openvpn-install-advanced running with openvpn but it's pretty slow on both connections. I have 16.8mbps download and 10mpbs upload at home. With open vpn on udp i get 5mpbs max for upload and 0.78mpbs for upload on avg. It's at my gf's house, her normal speed without the vpn is 18mpbs download and 5 mbps upload.

Is there a way to optimize openvpn? I can post my config files if need be.
    UDP
    port 1194
    proto udp
    dev tun
    ca ca.crt
    cert server.crt
    key server.key
    dh dh.pem
    push "register-dns"
    topology subnet
    server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0
    cipher AES-256-CBC
    auth SHA512
    sndbuf 0
    rcvbuf 0
    ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt
    push "redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dhcp"
    --tls-auth /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/pki/private/ta.key 0
    push "dhcp-option DNS 208.67.222.222"
    push "dhcp-option DNS 208.67.220.220"
    keepalive 10 120
    comp-lzo
    persist-key
    persist-tun
    status openvpn-status.log
    verb 3
    crl-verify /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/pki/crl.pem
    client-to-client

TCP
    port 443
    proto tcp
    dev tun
    ca ca.crt
    cert server.crt
    key server.key
    dh dh.pem
    push "register-dns"
    topology subnet
    server 10.9.0.0 255.255.255.0
    ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt
    cipher AES-256-CBC
    auth SHA512
    sndbuf 0
    rcvbuf 0
    push "redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dhcp"
    --tls-auth /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/pki/private/ta.key 0
    push "dhcp-option DNS 208.67.222.222"
    push "dhcp-option DNS 208.67.220.220"
    keepalive 10 120
    comp-lzo
    persist-key
    persist-tun
    status openvpn-status.log
    verb 3
    crl-verify /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/pki/crl.pem
    client-to-client

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!