Transfer speed inconstant

• Hello,

i've installed OMV 2 Days ago, and i was really suprised about the easiness of this system. I tried freenas bevore and I failed on permissions.

I run OMV on a VMware ESXi 5.5 Virtual Machine. So i haven't raid in use on OMV.

Server is connected with 2 Gig-LAN to an HP switch.

The Virtual Machine has Following specs:
    6 Virtual Cores
    6 GB RAM
    16 GB Harddrive for System
    3TB Harddrive for Storage

All Updates are installed.
    Services running: SMB/CIFS, SSH, Plex Media Service, Antivirus

So my problem is, that the transfer Speed is at beginning of the transfer really fast for the first 1-2 GB (these i got in about 10-20 Sec), but then the transfer speed is breaking down to a Minimum. That means the first 2 GB of an 1080p Movie (about 10 GB) are finished within seconds, but the rest takes sometimes 15-20 minutes, and i have no Idea why.
    The client is in this Case an MacBook Pro 2015 (always connectet to Gbit-Lan), but with an Windows PC there is the same Problem.

After i read it here in the Forum i made an ipref Speedtest from my Mac to the Server with the result of 987 Mbit/s, which is really a top result.

I have testet it with Apple NetTalk-Protocol and deactivated Plex and Antivirus. Also the Memory usage is by about 15 % of 6 GB, that means it is not full.

Is this a known issue and is there a known solution for this problem?

Thanks for helping me out

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try adding some tuning parameters - Tunning Samba for more speed

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi again,

thanks for the help, but i think i know what the problem was.

The first few GB's gone so fast because OMV wrote it on the Memory, after Memory was full, the HD was not so fast as the RAM.

I have done your tuning tips and i think it is better now, Thanks.

Greets
    Jonathan Hölz

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think you got it exactly. Glad to hear it got better.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!