Access OMV from abroad

• Hi there,

I am wondering how I can access my NAS from abroad.
    The best scenario would be to access my drives the same way I do at home.
    The second choice would be something like owncloud (I could not get this run like the way I wanted it).
    Anyway I am not quite sure about the pros and cons as well as how to configure any of the options.
    I thought some of you have had experience with that and might want to share it.

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers,
    Oliver

• Use the OpenVPNAS Plugin - which is easier to configure since it comes pretty much preconfigured already, and if you got any questions about it, I'm sure @tekkb will help you with that.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I have tried to set it up, but I am stuck at connecting to the server.
    I get the following error:

Code
    API Error: METHOD: OpenVPNClientSet: session ID 'sess_178_113_14_148_443_a5639_ZhDQqzgoW1J4KMtO_1' does not currently support method 'submit_creds´

How can I solve this issue? Another question is how I am able to connect with an webadress instead an ip (which is not the same every day)?

Thank you very much in advance.

• I followed the instructions step by step. Sadly i got OS X. But the installation of the client was pretty much straight trough. But when i Say connect to "myIP" it says automatically "disconnected" at the very time i push the "connect" button

• Thanks for the hint. With tunnelblick I can connect at get the very same ip like I am in my home network.
    But sadly my mac cannot find the drives from the nas. Do I have to reconfigure something there?
    Secondly can you recommend any free dns provider which works with an dynamic ip?

• i think there is an option in OpenVPNAS too that allows the OpenVPN subnet to access the local subnet, look for "allow remote clients to access local clients".

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• the setting is set to "Yes, using NAT" I also added the ip of my server to the allowed ips. But I am not sure about the bits to enter there?
    Using the setting "Yes, using routing" does not solve it either.

• Maybe @tekkb or @shadowzero can shed some light on this problem.

Greetings
    David

• I think @tekkb can answer better for OpenVPN AS related config than me. I don't remember all the settings for it and don't have it setup.
    Did you add the static route for the VPN network to be accessible from your router? You may need to do this as well. Add a static route for the VPN subnet (10.8.0.0) with the netmask (255.255.255.0) and the IP of your OMV machine (192.168.1.30) for example.
    Did you forward the port default 1194 as well on your router?

Another question is how I am able to connect with an webadress instead an ip (which is not the same every day)?

You can use a service like Dyn.com for dynamic dns instead of entering your IP each time it changes. Most routers have built in support for it and there is also a plugin for it openmediavault-ddclient that you can use.

• I forwarded both necessary ports but did not set up any static route. The strange thing is that I am able to access the web interface of my omv. Normally I should not have any issues connecting or seeing my network drives then.

• Do you just expect them to show up in the network section or did you actually try to connect to them via \\hostname ?

Greetings
    David

• @Olli1010 Take a look at this from the OpenVPN Howto: https://openvpn.net/index.php/…entation/howto.html#samba. You can either try to add interfaces = 192.168.0.0/24 10.8.0.0/24 to the extra options in the SMB/CIFS on OMV or setup the static route. Replace the 192.168.0.0/24 with your home network. That should allow you to access your smb shares by the IP Address. \\10.8.0.1\share for the step mentioned above or \\192.168.0.30\share for the static route. If you want to access AFP then I suggest setting up the static route. I recommend you try the steps in the OpenVPN Howto and see if that resolves your issue.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!