I set up Owncloud too easily - purpose of ssl cert? Am I putting myself at risk?

• I'm just fooling around and installed owncloud. I went into system > certificates > Created an SSL w/ personal info filled out @ 4096 kb key.

I went over to owncloud tab, enabled it, pointed it to this ssl cert I just made, chose a shared Drive and it works w/ my OMV user accounts. Is that really it? I could port forward it so it can be accessed over the net. Is that what everyone else is doing or is this a huge security flaw and there is another way around this.

better yet, could I create/connect my owncloud.com account to point to my shared drive?

• There are pros and cons for using self-cert.
    The self-cert is working fine, it just has the security warning if the user access the site for the first time or after you cleared your browser history.
    You can use Let's Encrypt, if you worry about middle-man attacker.
    There is a guide in this forum.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Hi,

Is that really it? I could port forward it so it can be accessed over the net. Is that what everyone else is doing or is this a huge security flaw and there is another way around this.

HTTPS only means, that your traffic is encrypted.
    In addition, when you have an 'official' certificate, your clients can be nearly 100% sure, that they are talking with YOUR server.

But that does NOT mean, that your server is save against brute force attacks, exploits and all the other things.
    If it fits your use-case, I would suggest to gain access to your home-network via OpenVPN.
    (Like I do :thumbup: )

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!