slow transfer TO OMV, good speed FROM OMV

• Returning back to my experimental OMV box. Still have a persistent issue with file transfer speed.

Doesn't matter if I use FTP or SMB: uploading a ~ 1gb file to OMV goes ~ 20mb/s. Move the same file from OMV, and it is 110mb/s

What I have:
    - OMV 2.0
    - HP microserver N36, 4gb RAM
    - OS Drive SSD, 4 3.5tb HDD
    - GBit ethernet connection/router/switch
    - SNAPRAID with 3 data drives, 1 parity using mhddfs (until I work out the problem, then attaching my 32 SAS drive JBOD box)
    - Cat6 cables throughout

Checked the tcp settings on my win7 machine, with several settings. No difference.
    monitored iotop, and when the file uploads to OMV, I get multiple mhddfs streams (5-6 I believe) doing 3-4mb/sec. On the download, I get one stream running 110ish mb/s out of OMV to client

Am I missing something here? Any ideas? Moving around my 50tb video collection is going to take a HELLA long time at 20mb/s.

Thanks in advance

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are more tuning posts on the forum with other things to try.

I re-read your post and noticed you are using mhddfs (slow and unmaintained). I recommend switching to mergerfs and try it with and without the direct_io flag.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• There are more tuning posts on the forum with other things to try.

I re-read your post and noticed you are using mhddfs (slow and unmaintained). I recommend switching to mergerfs and try it with and without the direct_io flag.

Thanks for the info. Didn't even know about this new fs, let alone it's attributes.

Will look into what is involved in changing over from mhddfs to mergerfs.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are using the unionfilesystem plugin, just change the type and reboot.

• Installed the updates, and changed the option.

Still seeing 20mb to OMV, but now I am also seeing 20mb FROM OMV.

So I went from slow up/fast down to slow up & down....

ERRRG this is going the wrong way!

• Offizieller Beitrag

mergerfs with the direct_io flag can slow down reads. If you are doing lots of reading, don't set the flag. mergerfs was only part of the equation. You still need to find some other performance tuning parameters. Samba is obviously the limiting factor now.

• Are there any log files or system setting which I should be looking to regarding this? I did iotop before, and was getting the Gbit connection speed, so I agree that it is all on the software side.

It just seems that there could be so many places which are suspect.

Also, I don't see a direct_io flag option in the union filesystems. Is this something I need to integrate into a different area, or CLI into a file & change there?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure where to look for samba speed.

The direct_io flag needs to currently be added to /etc/fstab

• ran iperf both ways in & out of the OMV box, and showed full Gbit transfer rates.

One thing that I found interesting is this:

- If I transfer files from my Win7 desktop to OMV, they transfer in the 15-20mb/s range
    - If I transfer files from my WHS2011 machine to OMV, they transfer in the 10mb/s range
    - If I transfer files from my Win7 desktop to OMV WHILE I am transferring files from WHS2011 to OMV, my desktop transfer rate goes up to 40mb/s range....

Any ideas on what is going on there? ?(

• Offizieller Beitrag

You still need to find some other performance tuning parameters. Samba is obviously the limiting factor now.

If you can't get the speeds you want, you need to tune samba. It can't possible be OMV's samba parameters when plenty of people can saturate gigabit without tuning parameters. So, it must be the clients configuration which samba can't account for. If that doesn't work, install samba4 from backports.

• I have same issue with transfer limit to max 20mb/s for about a week. I don't have any clue what is wrong...

I can copy from server with 20 mb/s but copying to server is going with regular speed 50 mb/s and no matter if I use samba protocol or FTP. There is this strange limitation.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!