OMV 2.2 on Atom Z520 & flash memory

• Hi,

Building a new build on the following config:

Acer Aspire One A0751h-52Bk netbook (was babe's) from 2009
    Intel Z520 Atom "Silverthorne" 1.33 GHz TDP 2.5 Wh (gma500 "poulsbo" Intel US15W Express)
    2 gig DDR2
    SanDisk eXtreme microSD 16GB ext4 formated
    2 Momentus 2.5' SATA2 HDDs spare from 2009 and 2010, ext4 formated and plugged in via a USB 3.0 alu docking case by Inaltek.

Yeah, quite monstruous setup I know I know

With goals

1. Replace my desktop PC (present tool) for:
    - incremental backups (rsnapshot)
    - sync'ing (Syncthing)
    - remote secure access to all our text files, of which sensible data (ssh, ranger, vim)
    2. Add functionalities whenever I can do it:
    + Incremental backup from Windows machines
    + Remote filesystem from Chrome OS: Escape from the Google web
    + Media delivering (whatever the monster can deliver; NFS/SMB at least)
    + DNS cacher on the LAN

OMV setup after a week finding my way through the doc:

Code
    Script Version: 0.2.0                                                                                           
    Debian-Version: 7.10                                                                                            
    OMV-Version: 2.2.2
    i686-linux-3.2.0-4-686-pae from backports
    openmediavault-flashmemory and rsnapshot plugins from omv-extras-org-stoneburner
    Two users

Long time Linux user running mostly Arch and a total Web UI newbie, so far I found the install and setup:
    - one of the rare NAS OSes providing both x86 and x86_64 supports
    - Easy up to having the Web ui and ssh access; runs super smoothly with 0-0.2 load average on my monster as expected from a clean Debian OS
    - After what it was quite a fight: config OMV for a low-pro device device on flash memory, setup shares, find the plugins to expand OMV features, find a plugin description/README...

E.g. to list the available plugins: Plugin list in the web UI is rather short. No prob: like the main Doc (note: the link to the forum seems dead) it says OMV-Extras is logically *the* source for plugins. Ok then on the latter:

Zitat

OMV-extras.org provides third party plugins for [up to] OpenMediaVault [1.x (Kralizec)]

Tell ya I got a bit worrying until I could read ryecoaaron's post adequately titled and pinned up on the Plugins subforum.

I can report a few documentation shortages from a newcomer eyes if you don't mind a somehow franck feedback

Now back to configure incremental and secure backup of remote hosts with rsnapshot and ssh, then sync'ing data for a start.

EDIT: forgot DNS caching.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can report a few documentation shortages from a newcomer eyes if you don't mind a somehow franck feedback ;)

Yep, unfortunately for me, developing plugins, moderating the forum, and a dislike for writing documentation are ahead of writing documentation :) Even when I do write it, it isn't always noob friendly. The forums are our best source of information at the current time.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hey, proposing new doc and updating these in the wiki should be our jobs us users since there, well, is a wiki. I'd like to come back on this later on.
    Now to list existing plugins for present OMV should be done by the OMV team. I mean, updating the supported version, change a link in OMV-extras would be done in seconds; and save an hour or more to each any newcomer!

Sync'ed 10k files / 1 gig on the LAN in minutes with syncthing plugin 1.9.2 installed on our "big monster". That is once I found out ryecoaaron is developing the plugin for OMV 2.2, and where it can be installed from (no more than 20 minutes, you know).

Now I'd like to setup our incremental backup. Coming from a working rsnapshot setup for 3 machines initiated from my desktop "server". So am lost by the rsnapshot plugin descr (« Rsnapshot can be used backup an OMV dir to another. » ) sure! eerrr while backing up the backup is cool I'll start with backing up our devices first; in the hope it'll work via with a standard rsnapshot/cron setup!!

PS: Web UI must be fine for the majority of users. Now for the standard cli doer...
    Anyone using OMV mostly via cli --saving 255 click a day?-)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now to list existing plugins for present OMV should be done by the OMV team. I mean, updating the supported version, change a link in OMV-extras would be done in seconds; and save an hour or more to each any newcomer!

This is being working on. Not sure how it would save an hour though.

I use OMV via CLI a lot but 255 click in the web interface could be thousands of keystrokes :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• 15 gig of data (100k files) backed up from first remote client with rsnapshot-pull/ssh; the atom z520 powered by OMV is doin well indeed :)

@ryecoaaron To find the plugins for OMV 2x actually took me well over an hour ':-}
    Please feel free to list stuff in need for an update in e.g. the wiki.

For the record: Bash history, aliases, tmux and script take the thousand keystrokes back to how much, uh? maybe ten, fifteen ;)
    Also instant responsiveness; multiple views and actions at any time thanks to tmux/screen, persistent and fully encrypted connection without even having to set up ssl certifs... Oh man it's so fu... super effective :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

When you say it took over an hour to find the plugins, where did you find them at? Not sure what you were trying to find. The new omv-extras home page (when it is ready) will fix some of that I think but I need to clarify what the problem was.

The omv-extras home page is being updated. I'm sure something in the wiki needs to be updated but I haven't looked at it. @subzero79 has been working on the wiki and can tell you more.

I use the command line all day at work where there is no web interface to use. Very familiar with the shortcuts. I was referring to installing plugins versus manually installing and configuring each service the plugin provides. screen, bash complete/history don't speed up configuring samba or dnsmasq :)

• An update on setting up OMV on that low pro Intel Atom:
    * Now auto incremental backup of all my personal non audio-video files as well as users and systems configs (~20 gig) from a desktop, a laptop and OMV itself. It's set up so that any new/changed content on any machines will be backed up at least once a day provided it's ON a couple of hours.
    * Power consumption reduced back to 5 Wa/h idle (50-90 wakeups/second) incl. disks and wol, yeah. I played a good bit with powertop, TLP and the various unneeded devices (eg. sound, wifi and screen).

OMV's plugins
    are God's gift for both the distro and users (Ryecoaaron take it easy). Yet there are cases when cli, on top of being more flexible, will also be faster and easier: e.g. configuring `dnsmasq` on Arch, CentOS and now OMV takes just the same steps via cli. Same interface and steps, actually I may just scp one of my present setups and adapt/check it on the new machine in a very short time. Accessing /etc/hosts and all the mandatory files from a single console takes seconds.

Ciao ryecoaaron. I have been thinking on your question above upon having read it. Tried to sum it up in a funny way if you're in a hurry. Otherwise here were my steps before @sieben did his super useful work on omv-extras.org

Before install I checked a bunch of diy NAS' requirements and really overviewed OMV's capabilities (if not I would have asked on the forum --and may well have chosen another OS upon realizing the doc's time price)

Installing the bare OS was a breeze. I needed/searched two things to be able to integrate it in our data flow (please remember I'm responsible for our datas and it's my first diy NAS):
    a) Setup guide for any NAS and OMV related features. And taken its modular design,
    b) Plugin list with a desc. of what each does. That's when things started to become funny a bit.

OMV Doc and WIki talking very little of plugins --for v0.5 to 1.0, I went to omv-extras.org (e.g. activate the Flash memory Plugin: (see Plug-ins)...). But despite taking it from all sort of SE, best I could find was a packages list with zaro instructions. A forum search gave back tens of results (most if not all for later troubleshooting). Searched the Web ui where Plugin tab linked to... omv-extras.org. Next day I searched on GitHub where lots of READMEs where as silent as "Tay" IA after Microsoft shut it ip. (am such a boomer: actually found something to eat in https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…avault/mkconf/flashmemory !) so then, that night I searched for users' memos and guide (e.g. awasu , jose-crispim , howtoforge , thekentishman or yvesmazur) : Good things but outdated for plugins. Can't remember the exact steps to find the relevant infos on backports kernels (I wanted zswap) or rsnapshot, but it only took ~an hour, each. But it is then, on third day that I found your Unofficial Plugin Repo for 0.5 Sardaukar, 1.0 Kralizec, 2.0 Stoneburner, 3.0 Erasmus post.

Hope it makes sense how important for reviewers/newcomers updating omv-extras.org and the wiki was/is.
    Also a few words on every OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers plugin's README would definitively help the more coders amongst us. And forward them to the right place by providing a link to omv-extras.org, now that it has been updated. Best developers usually take their time as precious in my experience. Edit: meaning will go first for well documented tool for a good reason. My two cents :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

You may know how to change things via command line but just remember that OMV and its plugins overwrite most config files. So, your change will be wiped out. If you want to do things via command line, I'm not sure why you would use OMV but oh well.

I noticed you never mention looking at the Guides forum on this forum. A description of each plugin is in the plugin list on the plugins tab. You shouldn't have had to go anywhere to see what each plugin does.

We also try to put instructions in the plugin. Installing it is no issue since you just select it in the plugin list and click install. There should be little risk installing it since most aren't enabled after installing.

The backports kernel shouldn't be needed unless someone tells you that you need it or you know enough to want it. I googled rsnapshot and found out everything about it from the first link. The plugin just configures it. Each field should describe what it does.

I don't understand why more needs to be added to the readme. If you are on github and have coding skills, going to the omv-extras is backwards in my opinion.

This forum is very active and instead of wasting 3 days looking for something, I would've asked a question 2.9 days earlier and saved yourself a lot of time.

I'll leave the "Best developers usually take their time" shot alone... If everyone that pointed out our shortcomings/faults would just a spend a few minutes helping, we probably wouldn't have the issues you pointed out :)

• You may know how to change things via command line but just remember that OMV and its plugins overwrite most config files. So, your change will be wiped out. If you want to do things via command line, I'm not sure why you would use OMV but oh well.

Err because
    - Again I'm a NAS Web UI & plugins total newbie,
    - one doesn't know until he tries out
    - linux's about *choice*
    - want to go stable and secure
    - wanna use and be part of an all-and-only data community
    - build smthg my non-tech relatives can use
    - OMV fits the low pro hardware I could throw in

I noticed you never mention looking at the Guides forum on this forum. A description of each plugin is in the plugin list on the plugins tab. You shouldn't have had to go anywhere to see what each plugin does.

We also try to put instructions in the plugin. Installing it is no issue since you just select it in the plugin list and click install. There should be little risk installing it since most aren't enabled after installing.

- Started searching forum in the Guides subforum. Just thought my answer to your question above was long enough already
    - There were 6 or 7 plugins listed upon installing. You mean I should have gone with them, and was wrong to search for an omv stable plugins list and instructions on how to get them?

The backports kernel shouldn't be needed unless someone tells you that you need it or you know enough to want it. I googled rsnapshot and found out everything about it from the first link. The plugin just configures it. Each field should describe what it does.

- I wanted zswap (kernel 3.13+) to help the tiny hardware and SDHC. Listed reasons here: [Tutorial][Experimental][Third-party Plugin available]Reducing OMV's disk writes, also to install it on USB flash
    - wanted to imcremental backup other boxes to the NAS; Asked the community about that.

I don't understand why more needs to be added to the readme. If you are on github and have coding skills, going to the omv-extras is backwards in my opinion.

This forum is very active and instead of wasting 3 days looking for something, I would've asked a question 2.9 days earlier and saved yourself a lot of time.

-Foll0wed the Doc and wiki who linked to omv-extras, as did the third-party docs I found
    - I like this forum, yet forums ain't doc. Are time consuming unless you know it well (for newcomers it is huge, goes in all directions etc). Link to the forum post in the Plugins doc was broken.
    - Joe-coder ain't no magician, when starting a project coders rely on the tools' docs as anyone, actually more than M Joe-mouse (hint: Arch, LFS or git wiki and forums). Saw a few posts that point out OMV's need more experimented users and contributors. Ah ;)

I'll leave the "Best developers usually take their time" shot alone... If everyone that pointed out our shortcomings/faults would just a spend a few minutes helping, we probably wouldn't have the issues you pointed out :)

Ryecoaaron you asked me to report how I found OMV'plugins. You wouldn't be angry that I've tried to comply, would you?
    EDIT: Owdy, if not then why deleting my answer?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope, not angry at all. Just really enjoy being told what "good" developers do. Maybe someday I will be a good developer.

I asked how you found plugins and you complied. Good. All the stuff about how we are doing things wrong or not well enough is the part I get irritated about. That is where my comment about helping comes in.

I disagree that forums aren't docs. Our forums have a wealth of knowledge that I even use myself.

Deleting your answer??? I didn't delete anything.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!