rsync rights

• Hello,

I've already searched the forum but didn't find an answer to my question. Maybe it's just a quick one for you guys.

I have a HPN54L with OMV running and a Zyxel 540 as Backup-Nas.
    Now I want to push with rsync a weekly backup to Zyxel.

In order to have a clear backup, which can be restored without adjusting users, groups, rights and privileges afterwards, I want to keep the privileges and ACL with the backuped data (what rsync actually supports).
    Since the backup seems a bit different to me and rsync is producing many errors I have the question: do I need to create all groups and users on the Zyxel before I sync the data, so rsync is able to assign them to the data or should useing rsync in archive mode be enough?

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

and a Zyxel 540 as Backup-Nas.

And what's in the zyxel? another linux/debian distro?

I want to keep the privileges and ACL with the backuped data (what rsync actually supports).

privileges is just a layer that applies to OMV that contemplates proftpd and samba (and netatalk) AT SERVICE CONFIGURATION not file permissions. ACL depends on the remote side, if the kernel fs supports it sure rsync will try in archive mode.

Since the backup seems a bit different to me and rsync is producing many errors I have the question

What errors?

In order to have a clear backup, which can be restored without adjusting users, groups, rights and privileges afterwards,

This won't be possible using rsync unless you restore at block level device, this means cloning the hard drive. You can restore using rsync but IMO is for advanced linux users.

• It is a propritary OS from Zyxel with only a few busy box commands.

Rsync copies the files and afterwards wants to set the ACL as on the source folder. In this step the errors are showing up (sorry I tried to rsync a week ago and forgot to save the errormessages).

But I think your last sentence answers my question: "Is rsync able to copy all ACL to the backup storage even if the groups and users are not present", you said: no, not with the WebGUI.
    Right?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!